Nissan X-Trail Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me - or better still have a picture handy of the outputs from the rear of the standard radio/cd/tape player in a 2004 model please?

I'm wondering if I could get a lead for my Iphone so I can connect it up to play the music straight through. Otherwise it'll be one of those cassette plug in jobs.
Thanks.

Dan

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Hi Dan. Not too sure about your model but I know my 2006 had no "audio in" on the unit - don't think yours will have any either. Belkin do some adapters but I think (?) most of these are FM modules rather than direct plug in or the cassette adapter type you mentioned. I've tried various FM transmiter type units in previous cars and always found in large cities you pick up taxi's and local radio stations - not so good when listening to your ipod! Maplin do a cheap cassette converter thingie that worked as well as any others I tried.
Maybe someone else will have a suggestion? (apart from changing your head unit)

Vandy.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Vandy. I thought that may be the answer!!

In the meantime I have been on to eBay and got one of those cassette jobbies and it does the job just fine!! £1.79 delivered! Can't grumble at that - even if if didn't work well!!

Thanks, Dan

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Dan

Seeing the price of the ebay unit it may not be the best quality? I know the Maplin one worked in my Merc but I haven't got a clue about the Xy. If you can get one from Maplins I'm sure this would be OK? (if you have a shop near you all the better as if it doesn't work then take it back) If it does work the Kennsington Liquid Aux I posted is a great little bit if kit - it really does work. No idea why an error code is coming up but could be the tape heads aren't lined up properly with the adapter - if you've got aut-reverse on your head unit try to "swap sides" a couple of times as this may help to find the centre of the adapter?
As I haven't got a cassette on mine I can test it - sorry. Vandy.

·
Registered
210 Posts
The cassete player might spit the tape out if the motors cant turn the tape reels this might be because the rubber band inside the tape player might of stuck or got brittle, either way it never sounds great anyway and the best option is to scrap the nissian headunit and get a pioneer or kenwood cd player with ipod connection it has a far better sound and upgradablity for less than you might think, and also you can keep the controls of the steering wheel.
But this topic is discused all over the forum and some give very good pictures to go along with it, Which means you can do it yourself, it takes 5 min at the very most.
Harry

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Hi Harry.
Agree the sound quality from a cassette adapter isn't top quality hi fi but for about £7-9 it ain't all that bad! I think it's worth a punt for that kind of money and listen to the sounds - mate of mine couldn't tell the difference between his car's old cassette player and my Alpine unit playing an MP3 disc - he has only got one ear though :lol:

Best route is a new head unit, but I think try all options as the accoustics on a Xy aren't great anyway - a bit hollow sounding I think?

Vandy.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I replaced all the speakers and amped both front and rear door speakers at the same time using plenty of dynamat sheeting and put a small sub in the back and i have too say it sounds like a padded white cell..... :biggrin: :biggrin: ok over exaggeration but sound proofing does wonders. a good place to hide the amps is in the spare wheel area instead of they silly storage holes. so it means its all hidden and nothing is in the way.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Harry

Have you got any photo's of your set-up? What speakers, etc., did you use and how far did you go with the matting? Would be good to know more about it as there are quite a few here that would like to upgrade including me!
:whistle:

·
Registered
210 Posts
I will need to get pictures for everyone but it means having to take it apart again because everything is consealed, il try get on with the pictures but basicly i put two sets of the best kenwood conponents (17cm) in the front and back doors and had them both amped with a pioneer 4 channel amp (prs range) and put a 10" sub in the back. As for sound proofing go as far as the buget can stretch because even a small setup can sound amazing when sound proofed well, but the sound proofing sheets can be very very expensive go for the stuff with thick foil and bitumen but avoid the dynamat i found it was expensive and not very good for the cost. the sound proofing sheets go everywhere you can get to, so the door panels put the sound proofing sheets over most of the door where the damp lining is and where so many people forget behind the speaker on the iner of the outer door panel (i hope you understand that :smile: ) when sound proofing is used it refects the bass and mid freq back into the car and stops the speaker distorting because of the sounds reflecting behind the speakers.
basically when done well its worth it.
also theres no point in puting in good equipment with standard power and speaker cables that makes a huge difference too.
another also is when using amps to drive the speakers always take more than one point of earth to get a good connection, and use big chunky cables.
harry

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.