Nissan X-Trail Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Heat Shield has decided to detatch itself from the Rear Silencer on my 51 Reg X-Trail.
Started it up this morning and noticed a rattling sound straight away. Got underneath and managed to pull the loose shield out.
There is nothing else wrong with the silencer so I am loathed to replace it because of this.
Experience tells me that an after-market, non genuine Silencer would most likely come without an Heat Shield anyway.

Couple of Questions:
Has this happened to anyone else and have you managed without the Heat Shield? and
Has anyone replaced a rear silencer lately, and if it was non-genuine, did it have an Heat Shield?

Regards,

Tim

G

·
Yes my heat shield was rattling and clanking it was simply pulled out (or was removed by the garage to be precise). Its a piece of thin aluminium held on by steel bolts and washers - so corrosion problem! Received wisdom was that it was un-necessary because the Diesel exhaust doesn't run hot enough and to rectfy it means dropping the rear muffler (ca 1 hr labour). I did have it re-installed when it went in for its annual service a couple of weeks later. The fix was to reuse the existing bolts but put oversized 'penny' washers.
Now the shield above the front expansion box is loose - I'm putting up with the distant rattle!

·
Registered
43 Posts
splinters42 said:
Yes my heat shield was rattling and clanking it was simply pulled out (or was removed by the garage to be precise). Its a piece of thin aluminium held on by steel bolts and washers - so corrosion problem! Received wisdom was that it was un-necessary because the Diesel exhaust doesn't run hot enough and to rectfy it means dropping the rear muffler (ca 1 hr labour). I did have it re-installed when it went in for its annual service a couple of weeks later. The fix was to reuse the existing bolts but put oversized 'penny' washers.
Now the shield above the front expansion box is loose - I'm putting up with the distant rattle!
+1. Big washers worked for me. :thumbs:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts