Nissan X-Trail Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. My rear wiper has stopped working. The column stalk seems fine and both wash functions work. A voltmeter on the red fuse for the rear shows 0.7 when the column stalk is in the off position with the engine running. When the rear wash is turned on at the stalk the reading goes to 14.6. It also goes to 14.6 when the stalk is rotated to wash wipe. However, when the stalk is moved to either wipe or intermittent wipe, the voltmeter reading goes to 0.9/1.0. This suggests to me that the stalk is working correctly, but no power is going to the rear wiper motor. I've removed the rear panel, checked all the wiring blocks, stripped the wiper motor and cleaned all the contacts and looked at where the wiring enters the rear door. Again, all looks fine, but no power is reaching the motor. Am I missing something? Is there a separate relay for the rear wiper function? (By the fuses under the steering wheel there are 2 small boxes (relays?) - one grey and one blue. Is one of these linked to the problem?) Thanks in advance for any advice. Adler

·
Administrator
2,758 Posts
Adler said:
Hi. My rear wiper has stopped working. The column stalk seems fine and both wash functions work. A voltmeter on the red fuse for the rear shows 0.7 when the column stalk is in the off position with the engine running. When the rear wash is turned on at the stalk the reading goes to 14.6. It also goes to 14.6 when the stalk is rotated to wash wipe. However, when the stalk is moved to either wipe or intermittent wipe, the voltmeter reading goes to 0.9/1.0. This suggests to me that the stalk is working correctly, but no power is going to the rear wiper motor. I've removed the rear panel, checked all the wiring blocks, stripped the wiper motor and cleaned all the contacts and looked at where the wiring enters the rear door. Again, all looks fine, but no power is reaching the motor. Am I missing something? Is there a separate relay for the rear wiper function? (By the fuses under the steering wheel there are 2 small boxes (relays?) - one grey and one blue. Is one of these linked to the problem?) Thanks in advance for any advice. Adler
Hi Adler, what XT do you have T30 or T31 and what year.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Problem solved! Having looked at every possibility, I pulled back the rubber sleeve that covers the wires leading into the back hatch - by the left hand top hinge - and went through every wire, one by one. Having stripped the wiper motor I knew the main power feed leads were the blue with red band and the green with red stripe. (For anyone else, these are the two exterior wires on the main rear wiper block.) All the wires appeared to be fine but I noticed a slight kink on the blue / red wire and when I opened the insulation, the wire was broken. I ran a replacement through the rubber sleeve and soldered the joins. I also retaped the wires together to give better protection. The wipers still didn't work - but I'd read that some cars have an overload protector in the system, so with the wires properly connected I switched off the engine and then restarted it. Voila!! A rear wiper back in action. Hope this might help someone else in the future. Adler.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.