Nissan X-Trail Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I know this sounds like a stupid problem but I cant remove the rear lights on my 2007 Xtrail! I have just fitted a tow bar and was going to wire from the lamp clusters so in the owners book it just says remove the two screws and lift off. However there are location pegs outboard of the screw locations and I think these have jammed. Any ideas on how to free them up as it wont be possable to change a bulb in this state?

Thanks
Dave

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi
These will come off.
Get several strips of card and place them between bodywork and lens on outer side. This will protect paintwork and give a better leverage and protection to the lens when pulling from its position. Pack out using extra card as the lens comes away, this will put less strain on the plastic locating lugs.
Suggest you add a spot of grease on locating holes before reassembly and next time it will be easy!
Have a look at
'Tow Bar For New T31 Model' in 'T31 Model Info' For towing electrics.

Jack

·
Registered
68 Posts
Yes I agree not the easiest things to get off, I chipped the paint on my spoiler when it came off all of a sudden.
Also I put grease in the holes in the x's fitting and on the light clusters lugs too :thumbs:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the suggestions. I have tried with card but the lens just creaks and groans to the point where I am frightened it will break.

My feeling now is to leave it until a bulb fails then take it into the dealer to solve! I wonder if they have any special tools to get behind the lamp?

Dave

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Guys,

Just to say i was the same, removed the bolts and the cluster still seemed as there was clips holding it back and was to afraid to put pressure on it.

Then i joined the forum and read this section and went for it, removed the 2 bolts holding the cluster and placed some card between cluster and paintwork and lifted with a flat bladed screwdriver and whey off it came and no chips, :eek: :p

So many thanks to all.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts