Nissan X-Trail Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As a new boy to this forum i am still feeling my way around,
I have been searching for help regarding the replacement of brake pads on 06 columbia. I found billy wizz may 09 suggested web site, but the link no longer works,can anyone else help.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Its a really simple job, shoulkd take no more than 10 minutes.

First, take the cap off the brake fluid pot under the bonnet,Whip the wheels off, undo two bolts holding the caliper on (They have a rubber boot type thing around the end). Using a flat head screwdriver, prize the old pads out. Using the same screwdiver push the pistons back as far as they weill go. It maybe easier to do this with the old brake pads still in place. Put a little copper grease on the back of the new pads and on the pistons. Slide the new pads in, replace the caliper and bolts, Put the wheels back on! Replace the brake fluid cap and thats it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Tradford said:
Its a really simple job, shoulkd take no more than 10 minutes.

First, take the cap off the brake fluid pot under the bonnet,Whip the wheels off, undo two bolts holding the caliper on (They have a rubber boot type thing around the end). Using a flat head screwdriver, prize the old pads out. Using the same screwdiver push the pistons back as far as they weill go. It maybe easier to do this with the old brake pads still in place. Put a little copper grease on the back of the new pads and on the pistons. Slide the new pads in, replace the caliper and bolts, Put the wheels back on! Replace the brake fluid cap and thats it.
An optamistic time scale if you don't mind me saying!! :whistle:

Make sure you clean and copper grease the stainless pad carrier shims other wise you'll be getting you brakes binding on. sometimes it's easier to remove the whole caliper pad carrier to clean the rust off from underneath the shims (usual indication that this needs to be done is having to hammer the old pads out! :lol: ) with a wire brush/file. but don't file too much away or your pads will rattle.

Also when you pushing the pistons back make sure your fluid level doesn't overflow the reservoir!!

Egg
Egg

·
Registered
60 Posts
Took me 10 minutes to strip and clean the right hand caliper and replace the pads a few weeks back. The left hand side took 15 minutes because I had a cup of tea part way through. And 2 minutes was spent scraping up the copper grease as I managed to stand on the tube and blow it out everywhere. :whistle:

G

·
You gotta be joking. I changed mine last weekend.All 4 sets so that should have been 4 X 10 = 40 mins. plus two cups of tea,okay lets call it 1 hour even.
It took me 45 mins,to find the jack,( had to retrieve it from the neighbor borrowed it last year ). Then i had to find the safety support dolleys. They went missing after i cleaned out the garage (They were on the shelf right in front of me) Didn`t think of looking there they are normally lying around on the floor somewhere. I agree with Egg if you are going to do the job do it properly. Removed all four caliphers, a good clean,and reassembled with new pads. Two cups of tea and two ****. Brake system bleed,total down time 6 hours and i thought it had gone smoothly.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Thankfully Im more organised. Trolley jack was alrwady in the car, didnt bother with axle stands, just chucked the wheel under the axle. Tools all laid out ready to go, cupo of tea made by the misses and I dont smoke.. Job done!

·
Registered
16 Posts
yes did fronts last week as nearside caliper was sticking on , when pads are out you can carefully ease back piston rubber gaiters and spray alittle wd40 in not too much and get misses in drivers seat to push a couple of time on pedal while you hold a lever against the pressure ,allow the piston to come out a little further than usual then push back as far as you can (without foot on pedal ) do this a couple of times . you will need to use g clamp or similar on the other piston you`re not working on.then fit pads , also look on this forum for "green pads "which are a more grippy pad giving more pedal feel. cheers

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.