Nissan X-Trail Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got my Exy 2.0L 173 bhp Sport Artix Extreme in January, my first 4x4 and my first "estate car". Delighted with the car, surprised how quick it is but disappointed with the level of tyre noise in the rear cabin. My previous cars were saloons, am I expecting too much in terms of refinement, is rear wheel road noise normal on the T31? Has anyone figured out a way to reduce road noise at the rear?

Great forum, very useful. Hope the T31 has fewer problems than the T30.

·
Registered
115 Posts
hi
Some noise expected if cover not in place also tyre choice makes real big diff
Just change my T30 back to 'stones and now have more noise - it was better on continentals...much better, also are yours all terain or road etc?

Cheers
Rob

·
Registered
16 Posts
Interesting one this. I suppose some tyre makes are just noisier than others. When I bought my XT it has Dunlop Grand Treks on. These are a very much road type tyre with a tread indistinguishable form that of normal car tyres. Never noticed rear tyre noise at speed. I replaced them with Pirelli Scorpions; good tyres, wearing well, grip very well, much more off-road type tread, great in snow. ... More noise from rear when driving. Ah well.
IUTLS.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I was going to start a new topic on tyres, but beaumers beat me to it. I notice the spare wheel area has no sound proofing, I suspect behind the trim the rear wheel arches don't either. Perhaps some is needed. On holiday recently the farmer was going for the world record on leaving slurry on the roads and the splashing of sh1t was very noticable.
My question was going to be, how do Grantreks compare with Scorpion STRs? I'm trying to source a spare wheel (which I may have found) and will need to fit a tyre. Dunlops are £150, Pirelli Scorpions are £108. The choice will have a bearing on the eventual replacement of the road tyres.
I must say that the Dunlop Grandtreks do perform well and the road noise is noticably quieter than my old Mazda 6.
On the topic of spare wheels it does seem from what I have read that 17" from a T30 do fit a T31????? any comments?
Chris

·
Registered
26 Posts
the grandtreks are absolute shyte when you get on any sort of mud or even grass!
they (in my opinion) have poor sidewalls as well
you will notice this when you get to a roundabout over 35mph and they wallow
on my 08 i replaced them with pirrelli and the handling was greatly improved both on and off road but there was more road noise
now i got rid of my 08 and bought one of the sports they were selling off for £18k and yes it has the dunlops on :bigcry: and the handling is **** (imho) so when i can i will swap the tyres

my mate has hankooks on his 04 and he has done 14k and only taken 2mm off the fronts i think that is excellent but he says they are noisy on the motorway

my advice would be ditch the grandtreks and get the pirrelli's or hankooks then turn the radio up a bit :lol:

just a footnote for you guys
all tyres have a tyre wear rating the higher the rating the slower they wear out but the harder the compound the noisier the tyre. the link below explains a bit better for those interested

http://www.etyres.co.uk/tyres-ratings-n ... atings.htm

·
Registered
17 Posts
As regards to the noise at the rear of the cabin, it sounded to me as one of the rear windows was slightly open or a door not shut properly. This was not the case.
I discovered the reason when I took the bumper off to fit a tow bar.
Behind the bumper on the lower half of each wing are air vent outlets. This is where the road noise is entering the cabin. I found it more noticeable when the roads are wet.
When your boot is full up or using your Tonneau cover the sound disappears.
Jack

1 - 6 of 6 Posts