Nissan X-Trail Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys

Slowly over a little time my 2011 Facelift Tekna has developed a slight vibration/rumble from somewhere. I cannot pin point it but these are when it can occur.
  1. When travelling along dual carriageway it starts from around 65mph beig slightly worse at 70 but you can accelrate through it to 90 + and it doesn't seem to be there but when it does appear it is more pronounced on a slight right hand bend and it less so on left hand slight bend but can then disappear!
  2. COming of a roundabout when acclerating reasonably hard you feel vibration it it's worst - it's not like something is dropping off but is annoying. This disappears when straight until getting to 65 ish.
  3. Makes no difference 2WD or 4WD and in any gear.
  4. Makes no difference after swapping wheels front to back etc.
Could it be propshaft (although no difference 2WD or 4WD) but car has been well maintained with all oils having been changed in diff, transfer box and gearbox (all that came out were good). Or is it something to do with drive shafts and perhaps inner joints?? All 4 wheel bearings have been reaplced but ironically this seems to have started when front bearings done and they had a job getting one drive shaft out.

I'm a little stumped but would be good for some pointers as it goes in for service possibily next week now on 185k miles and nowt else wrong - 221 hp runs smooth as can be and mpg ave still mid to upper 40's.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
DO you think prop shaft? Is that always running even when in 2WD. I thought the electronic clutch that engages the rear wheels is before that so it isn't always turning?

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The other thing is why does it help if turning slightly one way over the other surely if it was prop shaft it would make no difference?? When sitting at 70 the vibration is there but as said goes if you turn slightly one way but it doesn't get any worse if I then accelerate hard (using all 221 horses). If it was prop shaft again should I not expect vibration to be worse due to extra force going through it rather than sitting at constant speed??

·
Registered
508 Posts
I think the prop shaft is always turning, as when it isn't being driven by the engine, it's being turned by the wheels. However, if it changes when turning I would say that the problem is somewhere at the front of the car, probably involving the front drive shafts in some way.

·
Super Moderator
3,200 Posts
The propshaft is driven by the front differential. Power goes allway to the rear. In front of the rear diff is the electric cluth and the 4wd controller decides(2wd,4wd,lock knob, acc pedal pos, torque demand, abs.....) how much of that propshaft torque is needed.
Usually drivind vibration comes from imbalanced wheels, driveshaft inner joints and propshaft u-joints.
On my x-trail, most vibration came from accelerations and driving over 80kmh. It was a bit less on acceleration whe the knob was on 2wd. Taking off the propshaft confimed it.
Pics are in my ride thread.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think the prop shaft is always turning, as when it isn't being driven by the engine, it's being turned by the wheels. However, if it changes when turning I would say that the problem is somewhere at the front of the car, probably involving the front drive shafts in some way.
That's why I think and hope it's drive shafts related

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The propshaft is driven by the front differential. Power goes allway to the rear. In front of the rear diff is the electric cluth and the 4wd controller decides(2wd,4wd,lock knob, acc pedal pos, torque demand, abs.....) how much of that propshaft torque is needed.
Usually drivind vibration comes from imbalanced wheels, driveshaft inner joints and propshaft u-joints.
On my x-trail, most vibration came from accelerations and driving over 80kmh. It was a bit less on acceleration whe the knob was on 2wd. Taking off the propshaft confimed it.
There is no difference between using 4WD or 2WD

·
Registered
508 Posts
Thanks for clarifying that Ahto42. My mistake, I thought the electric clutch was at the front behind the front differential, I'm learning all the time. I must admit I hadn't really looked I was just going by the set-up on a different 4WD vehicle I had a while back.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just speaking with technician this morning and he said what I describe is drive shaft related and not prop shaft. We took it for a drive so he appreciated what I felt. Only odd thing is nothing through steering wheel!

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Technician has found some slight play in nearside driveshaft joint. Said it's small but and only slight on the bench but said obviously under torque it would show more of a slapping feel. Everything else was tight and good. Drop links and everything else showing no sign of movement; just this drive shaft joint so part ordered in £131 but I simply want it sorted!

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well things have changed slightly. The rumble has reduced as speed but seems to be slightly worse at low speed! Technician wonders if it could be the sway bar at bottom back of engine flxing under acceleration - he's not looking for work but put it in the mix. I've now noticed if turning right at low speed it feels through steering and car as if wheel is wobbling slightly - really weird as all tight.

Everything else appears fine so apart from his suggestion we are stumped - surely can't be the clutch as it's as smooth as can be with no judder and smooth bite - still original but I never ever sit foot on it or slip it. I drive like we were taught; foot down, change gear and foot to side.

Ideas chaps?????

·
Super Moderator
3,200 Posts
My would still suggest to take the propshaft off. To exclude it to be sure. 30 min job to take it out.
By hand I could not feel any play.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My would still suggest to take the propshaft off. To exclude it to be sure. 30 min job to take it out.
By hand I could not feel any play.
But why would that affect the front which is where rumble comes from and that surely wouldn't give this odd wobble feel on nearside........................

·
Registered
Nissan X Trail Columbia 2.2 DCi 2006
847 Posts
Front U-joint was in worst condition.
Ahto has recently replaced his propshaft universal joints to rectify a driveline vibration.

If a uj is partially seized, the power transmitted through it will still turn the propshaft but in a very unbalanced way.

This unbalance would certainly have the entire power plant shaking in it's subframe, and would also transmit through the steering and suspension.

Definitely worth a look.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Mine does not come through steering at all and the od things is whywhen I turn left does the wheel feel like it's wobbling but it's not. I can understand if vibration is contant no matter which way you turn and that could relate to prop shaft but surely it can't be prop shaft if occurs when turning to left slightly and why better at speed now than before. My technician says he can feel a very slight bit of movement in the lower sway bar at bottom back of engine - i think this is what he means. He thinks under power/stress it may be flexing too much causing misalignment perhaps.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 45 Posts