Nissan X-Trail Forum banner
21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,186 Posts
The vibration was not from steering wheel or when turning the wheel. It was under acceleration and speeds over 80kmh. in 2wd it was a lot less.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Well car is in garage today and they are checking the replacement nearside driveshaft as the vibration has got worse in case it is faulty - it has gotten worse since new driveshaft fitted and what is now happening is when pulling away (and more so when turning slightly left) it feels like the wheel is wobbling (not through steering which feel fine) and whole car seems to slightly wobble but this oon dissappears. As you get up to about 27mph the vibration starts to come in feeling like you are driving along a rough surface. It gets slightly worse before going away and then coming backin at around 65mph. It then stays till you get to about 75 when it goes again and is smooth at 80! Makes no difference 2WD or 4WD. Vibration is stronger at 30 if you are acclerating harder and seems to stay longer. It doesn't happen on cold icy morning but does after a few miles suggesting something to do with item needing to warm up. I've also noticed it does it at 30 when slowing down whether in gear or coasting.

I've suggested to them to remove propshaft and see if it makes any difference although with it involving a slight left turn that does seem driveshaft area related. Hopefully they'll get to bottom of it and if faulty driveshaft you'd hope part replace FOC and labour FOC...................

·
Super Moderator
3,186 Posts
A special engineering shop can replace the joints, even put a stronger and bigger ones. In my thread you can see that a bmw one suits.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Still no news but I have managed to find a replacement used part from same model that's covered 91k and was fully serviced £235 delivered. So I have that as a back up just in case.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
So they have another drive shaft which is being fitted. They had a good look over the propshaft and yokes seem fine and all in good shape with no lateral movement. They say there is a small amount of front/back movement which is common to most 4 x 4's when changing gear. It still all seems driveshaft as when new one was fitted the vibration/rumble came in at lower speed. If propshaft was the issue then the vibration/rumble would still be the same with the new drive shaft - if that makes sense as driveshaft makes no change to the propshaft speed/input.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Ok so new driveshaft fitted. All it's done is reduce the vibration at around 65mph but 30 - 35 it's fully there and feel like you're in a gear too low or on a concrete road. Oddly the steering is now super sensative for some reason! I wasn't charged for refit so car's back in next week and take off propshaft just to rule that out but otherwise we are stumped and nearly everything else has been replaced over past 12 months but now wondering if it could be drivers side drive shaft although issue is more prevalent when turning left suggesting left side!!!

Any other ideas really welcome - apart from that it runs fine!!!

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
A special engineering shop can replace the joints, even put a stronger and bigger ones. In my thread you can see that a bmw one suits.
Well things have changed a little as new driveshaft appears bedded in!

In 4WD Auto the vibration is there under acceleration from about 30mph up to 45mph and then goes with only slight at 65. Now in 2WD under acceleration there is no vibration at all now and hardly a thing at 65 so does this now point to propshaft or something else now????

·
Super Moderator
3,186 Posts
My symptoms where the same on prop shaft u joints. As I said before. When the shaft was under the car, I could not see or feel any play in the joints. When i decided to remove it, then it was like this.
Motor vehicle Wood Gas Tool Helmet

Automotive tire Rim Auto part Metal Automotive wheel system

Bicycle part Plumbing Gas Engineering Machine

On the last pic, I had begun to press it out.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I doubt we'd be able to find replcement joints but I have found a used propshaft from a car which has done less than half my mileage at 91k miles so would assume that should be ok and not need any balancing. What about centre bearing. Does this need to be replaced or can existing be re-used. How long would you think to swap them over - an hour?

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Right - new propshaft on from Driveshaft Part Ltd for £240 and car is perfect. Not a sound or vibration from 0 - 90. Very happy at last. Propshaft is same as on Qashqai and Renault Koleos and they get it made for them with removable 'U' joint bearings - clever idea.

·
Registered
2002 Nissan X-Trail T30, 2.0 SE+
128 Posts
Ok so new driveshaft fitted. All it's done is reduce the vibration at around 65mph but 30 - 35 it's fully there and feel like you're in a gear too low or on a concrete road. Oddly the steering is now super sensative for some reason! I wasn't charged for refit so car's back in next week and take off propshaft just to rule that out but otherwise we are stumped and nearly everything else has been replaced over past 12 months but now wondering if it could be drivers side drive shaft although issue is more prevalent when turning left suggesting left side!!!

Any other ideas really welcome - apart from that it runs fine!!!
I would say it is the prop-shaft. Had this with my parents Terrano some years ago, exactly the same symptoms. changed it for a used one from ebay, and it went. I think also part of the problem as they did not grease the UJ that is in it.

·
Registered
2002 Nissan X-Trail T30, 2.0 SE+
128 Posts
Right - new propshaft on from Driveshaft Part Ltd for £240 and car is perfect. Not a sound or vibration from 0 - 90. Very happy at last. Propshaft is same as on Qashqai and Renault Koleos and they get it made for them with removable 'U' joint bearings - clever idea.
Glad you go it sorted. It seems a common problem with Nissans that they tend to go. As my parents are in a different country, I told them it was down to lack of grease in the UJ on the propshaft, it then wears and puts the whole shaft out of balance.

·
Super Moderator
3,186 Posts
I can not say that it is a common problem on X-trail, every 4wd car that has no serviceable Ujoints will have same problems arround 160k+ miles/200k +kms. Some sooner, some later, depends in what climate you live(amount of salt on the roads, how much offroading, towing, the quality of the OE joint(grease in it and seal design).
When my vibration started and i begun online search and yuutuube about vibration and propshafts, then it was on all the popular makes and models, Toyota rav4, Subaru forrester, outback, Crv. They all have same problems at some time in treyr life.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Yeh - I couldn't find out much at all about X Trail propshaft issues.

Nice thing is the mechanic said the new one fitted has got serviceable joints!! I've had quite a drive around over the weekend and can confirm it is as smooth as can be on any road surface at any speed and in any gear - I can now happily put down my 221hp without worry of vibrations! BTW I never use the power from zero as protecting my clutch which is still original and super smooth (now I've said it!).

·
Registered
612 Posts
Hi Jim

I appear to have a similar sound, from the rear of the car, it's more like a pulsing rumble/drone and disappears as speed increases

Which propshaft did you get from them? There are a couple on their website

best
Ken

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Hi Jim

I appear to have a similar sound, from the rear of the car, it's more like a pulsing rumble/drone and disappears as speed increases

Which propshaft did you get from them? There are a couple on their website

best
Ken
Hi Ken

I think there was only one when I got mine and looking at them I think it's DSNX2 as that says 2008 >2012 but give them a call - they were so helpful.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts