Nissan X-Trail Forum banner
41 - 45 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
That's good to know, Does the exhaust need removing to replace the propshaft?
No I don't think so as it only took my garage about half an hour to swap over. My previous had shot bearing on front and rear was discovered to only flex one way!!! Smooth as can be now but it picks up I have a very slight buckle on one wheel - arghhhhhh. MOT next week and one of front suspension bearings need replacing; previous only lasted 3 years! Car has though now done 187k so really owes me nothing and may well be up for sale soon for a minimal amount as cutting down from 3 vehicles to two. X Trail and VW camper selling and swapping to VW California + wifes Golf so all German !!!!

·
Registered
612 Posts
No I don't think so as it only took my garage about half an hour to swap over. My previous had shot bearing on front and rear was discovered to only flex one way!!! Smooth as can be now but it picks up I have a very slight buckle on one wheel - arghhhhhh. MOT next week and one of front suspension bearings need replacing; previous only lasted 3 years! Car has though now done 187k so really owes me nothing and may well be up for sale soon for a minimal amount as cutting down from 3 vehicles to two. X Trail and VW camper selling and swapping to VW California + wifes Golf so all German !!!!
That's good to know.
I was driving yesterday and switched several times between 2 wheel drive and the auto setting and the droning sound has gone away.
150k miles here, so I don't want to start spending £ on it either..

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
That's good to know.
I was driving yesterday and switched several times between 2 wheel drive and the auto setting and the droning sound has gone away.
150k miles here, so I don't want to start spending £ on it either..
How strange - I wonder why that is and how come it happened! Hopefully you'll never hear it again!!! Switching should make no difference as propshaft is always turning when in 2WD, 4WD or diff lock as electric clutch I believe is at back.

Having said that I wouls till suggest getting your garage to drop your existing and just check the joints for satisfactory movement - sort of pre-empting. My garage told me it took less than half an hour to do - you may be able to do it yourself if you have access to a ramp???

·
Super Moderator
3,186 Posts
you can take it off and drive 2wd mode if you want. Like Jim said and I have said it before, it takes more time to lift the car up to 4 jack stands as to remove the prop shaft. By hand, often you can not feel any play in the joints because they are seized. I did not believed it also, because i did not any play in the joints.
When off the car, you can feel and see, that the joints are busted.

·
Registered
612 Posts
I've read the previous comments (appreciated ) so I was surprised that it has currently stopped, I've no access to a ramp so if it starts up again I'll have to take it to a garage.

41 - 45 of 45 Posts