Nissan X-Trail Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been following a running in regime recommended by Honest John, Saturday Telegraph motoring journalist as he seems to speak sense based on feedback from motorists.

Here is a summary:
Leave factory fill of oil for the first year or 10,000 miles.

For the first 1,000 miles do not exceed 3,000rpm, but make sure you reach 3,000rpm regularly.

For the next 1,000 miles (to 2,000 miles) do not exceed 3,500rpm, but make sure you reach 3,500rpm regularly.

For the next 1,000 miles (to 3,000 miles) do not exceed 4,000rpm, but make sure you reach 4,000rpm regularly.

For the next 1,000 miles (to 4,000 miles) do not exceed 4,500rpm, but make sure you reach 4,500rpm at least a couple of times a week.

After that, no limit, but make sure you continue to hit 4,500rpm through the gears several times a week.

The benefit of this is it helps to self clean the injectors, it blows any accumulated soot out of the exhaust system and it helps to free off the piston rings, making the engine more efficient and less likely to use engine oil.
http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/faq/running-in-a-diesel

I have driven about 2,500 miles so its still a work in progress, & anyway I don't know how I could tell long term really. All I can say so far is that the engine runs smoothly, its lively & responsive & I haven't experienced the DPF problems reported by some. I always use BP Ultimate or Shell V-Power.

My only concern is that, before I thought about it, a lot of my high revs have been early morning and / or before the engine has warmed up (because that's when one uses lower gears most often) which I hope hasn't undone any of the good !

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Hello Ron

Admire your patience and diligence with the motoring technique. I'm probably wrong here but I thought new cars are "pre-run in" as in, they don't need running in like they used to years ago. I remember when you used to see cars with signs on them reading, "running in - please pass" which back then made sense but running in a car today?
Back in 1999 we bought a brand new Honda CRV (2.0 petrol) and the only advice we were given was to take it easy for the first 500 miles - that was the extent of the technical advice!
Hopefully someone better qualified then me will post their views but as far as I can see - the best thing you're doing is using a good quality fuel :thumbs:

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Vandy -

I'm probably not as diligent as my post implied, but its not a big effort to follow the guidelines at least in general terms so there's nothing to lose.

Yes, I agree with your comments on improved engineering, & no I don't see those signs now ! I have been given the 500 mile advice before, but what's different here I think is that the traditional approach was to be gentle initially, whereas this is more like progressively stretching the engine.

To be honest I'm sceptical but the man speaks with some authority (although at other times I think he talks out of his...but that's journalism for you).

As you say, it would be ineresting to hear other views.

Ron

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.