Nissan X-Trail Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there anyway of updating my 2009 model to accept post codes? I get so many locations based on post codes and some small villages etc are not on the system. It's driving me mad!! It seems a basic fundamental error by Nissan? :headbang:

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
I don't think it's possible.

But I have never found a small village that's not on the system - even tiny villages in Central Europe have soperb mapping that is just not there on portable systems.

BUT .....................

I have found that some places are found by putting in the main post town and then the street name in the village and then it pops up easily.

John

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Hi Teknaphobe and welcome to the forum. The Nissan sat nav is actually very good and as John said, will find any town/village, etc., throughout the UK and in Europe. I do a lot of visiting peoples homes and when I have one in the middle of no-where - eg., Breckon Beacons, Dartmore or deepest North Scotland, etc., the only way I can find the house is by postcode search. That's why I still kept my Garmin sat nav - just for the postcode searches. Seems mad to need both but it doesn't happen that often which is why I've got a temporary mount in mine.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Proberly the best option would be buying a cheap tom tom off ebay, i am sure the latest nissan system has a post code search, but that is no good to any of us, like you said a basic error on nissans part

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
As I said - if it's a small village and does not register - then put in the postal town (the post code is the clue), then the road in the village.

I have always found what I wanted this way.

I only got caught once for a street in Malvern in Worcestershire, where it was listed as Great Malvern - it *was* there and I found it in the end.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Many thanks for the advice...I'll dig out the old Navman to be sure. John....many post codes don't relate to the village, town etc. Tadcaster has a LS post code (Leeds), Skipton a BD (Bradford post code) and as for Scotland!!!!

Teknaphobe

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Teknaphobe said:
John....many post codes don't relate to the village, town etc. Tadcaster has a LS post code (Leeds), Skipton a BD (Bradford post code) and as for Scotland!!!!
I know this - but the T31 does not have post-code search until the 2010 model.

So - if you know the full address and it does not have the village, try the town (which is almost valways included in the full address) and find it that way.

Works the same for the suburb of a larger town as well.

Always works for me - without having to resort to postcode.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Hi John.

Not being "pickie" here but I do have times when I can't use the Nissan sat nav.
If I'm trying to locate a house or maybe a farm in the middle of no-where and it's too far away from a town or village to be located on the sat nav, it comes up with "un-known address" and gives me alternatives - usually in a different country!
In these cases then the postcode search on my Garmin is the only option. For normal town/village /city addresses then the Nissan unit is a really good one.

Another example. Enter an address, eg., 23 Great Road, London. If you don't know where abouts it is in London ( Ballam, Lewisham, Wimbledon, etc.) it will give you all of them so how do you know which one do you choose? But, if you whack in a post code on a Garmin,Tom Tom, etc., it takes you straight there.
Love the NIssan unit but I have certainly found I need both it and my Garmin.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.