Nissan X-Trail Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2005 Car with the older satnav. Sometimes the nav starts right up sometimes it starts after 10 minutes or any random amount of time. It appears that the DVD reader has become 'lazy'. Anyway being a techie I thought a DVD unit will set me back, hmm maybe £20.00. Nooo Nissans price was over £500.00.

Not wishing to be fleeced I did a bit of dissasembly and found that the unit contains some extra electronics and the interface plugs are not industry standard for a DVD player but are Nissan proprietary.

I have tried to track down the manufacturer (Japanese and a subsidiary of.. Nissan) No joy there then as they won't sell direct. This stinks!

If anyone knows someone who can repair these things I would be interested in a phone number.

If anyone needs copies of the disks I can probably do that for you (for backup purposes only of course). Anyway, I bought a separate Sat nav and am now thinking of ripping the thing out and replacing it with a double din radio. Any ideas?

Davey

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Hi Davey

The benefit of changing the whole thing would be a better sound system with more features and could work out cheaper than getting yours fixed - if not cheaper then certainly better value for money. Seems like a good time to change it before you start spending money on the duff one?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply x-trail nut (or is it Vandy).

I will have to replace the fascia or find a custome one as it has the buttons for Nissans alledged sat nav kit. It looks like it will be expensive either way at the moment.

I already replaced the radio unit with an Alpine which is very nic. (plays MP3s) so I have had the dash apart a couple of times. I just wonder, in the end will it be worth the hassle.

What did you do to your puddle lights?

Davey666

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Hi Davey666

Yes it's Vandy but somehow I have Xtrailnut under my mane - strange but true.
Link for puddle lights here - you'll need to open the PDF file to see the pics

http://www.x-trail-uk.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2063

As for your sat nav - bearing in mind you've swapped your head unit I would get a Tom Tom or Garmin, etc, if you can't fix the Nssan sat nav for a sensible cost. I made a simple braket for mine and it works fine - just slips in when I need it and the whole thing goes away when not needed.

http://www.x-trail-uk.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2061

A member here called Wimbo has fitted his sat nav in the dash top storage box - he may post a pic is you ask him?

To open the PDF files left mouse click on them.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.