Nissan X-Trail Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I have just bought a 2007 Xtrail Columbia,. 2.2D
The guy I bought it from said there was an intermittent fault with the indicators (both sides).
I also found that the number plate lights weren't working and the rear washer and wiper don't work.
I have removed the wiring for the tail lights and tested them directly on the battery and they work just fine..there is 10v on the wire/connector in the the boot but they will not illuminate
Also the tailgate will not lock on central locking either...
Does anyone have any ideas
TIA Chris

·
Registered
2002 Nissan X-Trail T30, 2.0 SE+
81 Posts
The guy I bought it from said there was an intermittent fault with the indicators (both sides).
I also found that the number plate lights weren't working and the rear washer and wiper don't work.
I have removed the wiring for the tail lights and tested them directly on the battery and they work just fine..there is 10v on the wire/connector in the the boot but they will not illuminate
TIA Chris
A lot of posts on this here. It would be the loom wiring on the boot. This is at the top left in a rubber tubing. The wiring inside is tight and frays. On mine I think I had 7 wires frayed and 3 of those were busted.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Yes as Green Trail above says check those wires as a common problem .My rear wipers on the T30 wouldn't work properly and one of the wires was broken .I added some new cable ,always good to solder the cable in and add some heat shrink to make a nice job it .Try to stay away from those bullet connectors and block connectors

·
Registered
Nissan X Trail Columbia 2.2 DCi 2006
755 Posts
As stated by my learned colleagues above, almost certainly the body to tailgate wiring. Even if insulators look intact, conductors can break inside. As you have mentioned a specific voltage, I presume you are using a voltmeter as a diagnostic tool. What you actually need is a good test light with a pointed probe. A voltmeter doesn't need much current to display a value, whereas a light bulb is a resistor which will not light without sufficient current. Also remember an LED is not a light bulb either!

·
Registered
97 Posts
As stated by my learned colleagues above, almost certainly the body to tailgate wiring. Even if insulators look intact, conductors can break inside. As you have mentioned a specific voltage, I presume you are using a voltmeter as a diagnostic tool. What you actually need is a good test light with a pointed probe. A voltmeter doesn't need much current to display a value, whereas a light bulb is a resistor which will not light without sufficient current. Also remember an LED is not a light bulb either!
that many faults all in the same rough area, I`d be looking for an earth fault.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
TIA Chris
Hi Folks, many thanks for all the replies, it most definitely was the tailgate wiring, gave it a gentle tug and it all came away in my hand...
The next issue I have is that the indicators don't work...if you quickly flip the stack off and on then the indicator comes on but only as a solid light, not flashing....is this a flasher unit issue?
Thanks in advance
Chris

1 - 11 of 11 Posts