Nissan X-Trail Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

The wifes '02 diesel Sport has started smoking more than usual under acceleration, ive put Redex type injector cleaner fluid through a few times but still the same, car has covered circa 95K.

Any ideas to improve the situation? I'll put it into my garage to get it sorted but could do with some pointers first, many thanks :p
Mark

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi
We have a 2.2 di sport 52 plate x trail which smokes badly at low revs / speed, particularly going through gears 1 - 3. The Nissan garage suggested replacing the ecu which we did but it made little difference.

Have you had any other success? Hope it went ok for you.
Apart from the smoking we love the car, it does exactly what we need. Nissan need to sort out some reliability issues though.
phil

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Guys
Am new to this forum and just read the above re smokey x-trails.
I Had the same problem with my 02 XT. Spoke to my local garage. They gave me some stuff similar to Redex (cant remember the name), told me to wait until the fuel tank was down to quarter before I put it in, and then to rev the knakers out of the engine in each gear.
So did this on a fast road near me. On the first run, I couldn't see the raod behind me for the smoke so kept doing it and after half a dozen runs the smoke finally cleared.
The upshot of this, as I understand it is, I drive the car too steadily. The garage told me that the diesel engine needs a good blow through every now and again.
So I do this every now and again (when police not around) and so far the problem virtually gone.
PS you need to redline each gear (conditions and speed permitting)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts