Nissan X-Trail Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question:
Read in the manual that we can use snow chains but only on the front wheels - not all 4. Does anyone know why? I've seen Range Rovers with f & r chains on so confused why we can't?
Was thinking of sorting some out in case needed this winter but now not sure as wouldn't have thought having them just on the front would be quite as good? Any advice greatly appreciated.

This all started because I looked at the link Daveyboy posted for Pirelli and saw the winter tyres, etc., I'm meant to be working at the moment, not faffing around looking for tyres and snow chains
:lol: :lol:

·
Registered
706 Posts
Vandy said:
This all started because I looked at the link Daveyboy posted for Pirelli and saw the winter tyres, etc., I'm meant to be working at the moment, not faffing around looking for tyres and snow chains
Surely Vandy,this is more important than work!!!!!!!!

·
Administrator
2,758 Posts
Vandy said:
I have a question:
Read in the manual that we can use snow chains but only on the front wheels - not all 4. Does anyone know why? I've seen Range Rovers with f & r chains on so confused why we can't?
Was thinking of sorting some out in case needed this winter but now not sure as wouldn't have thought having them just on the front would be quite as good? Any advice greatly appreciated.

Vandy, I don't think the auto system for the diff would work the same and could end up damaging the unit.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cheers Umbongo - wondered if it must be something to do with that. I know the X Trail doesn't have a "real" diff lock when in LOCK - doesn't the system just apply brake force when a wheel slips - a bit like ABS really? Think this is right but not sure?

·
Administrator
2,758 Posts
Vandy said:
Cheers Umbongo - wondered if it must be something to do with that. I know the X Trail doesn't have a "real" diff lock when in LOCK - doesn't the system just apply brake force when a wheel slips - a bit like ABS really? Think this is right but not sure?
That's about right Vandy. If you look at the link below I've updated it and shows you the workings of the (ADVANCED ELECTRONICALLY CONTROLLED ALL MODE 4x4) system :thumbs:

Link

viewtopic.php?f=42&t=4764

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.