Nissan X-Trail Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that the evenings have drawn in, and due to the lack of street lights where I live, I want to fit some after-market spot lights. I don't have a nudge bar on my T30, so am struggling to find any way of mounting the lights.

I know the easiest option is to get a nudge bar, and fit them to that, but I find it hard to justify spending that sort of money to mount lights. Has anyone found a way, or managed to find any brackets to fit spot lights?

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Hi daleslad

Am trying to sort this out myself (and have been for a while now!)
The problem is the bumper is very narrow in front of the grille so this limits the depth of spot light that can be fitted. Also, the bumper itself is not too stable so if you did manage to mount lights they would be wobbling around. It may be possible to reinforce the bumper (brace it from underside) or maybe slide some brackets through the grille that are fixed to the strut under the grille and then mount the lights on this? Problem is you would have to remove your lights if you wanted to remove the grille.
I asked a question ages ago and got no reply so maybe you'll have more luck? I thought of changing the existing fog lights to spot lights and then fit fog lights in the lower scoops of the bumper. I know the spotlights wouldn't be a high as would be best but would make fitting much easier. Like you, I don't want bull bars but a spot light bar would be handy.
Let me know how you get on ot if you have any ideas?

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
I think, you must approach it from other sides. Use the headlights. My wife has a Citroen C-4 that has so called Walk me home lights. When you set the lights on Auto, after you park the car, the headlights lighten you the way for 30 seconds.

On the key is an extra button, with which you can turn them on or off yourself. If you can make this work on your car, the problem is solved. Maybe on the after marked there are sets to fit in your car. For someone with electrical fingers this is easy.

A place to put on extra "shiners" wil be hard to find... and disturb the "face" of the car I think.

What I do myself is, approach it from a whole other side. I have a floodlight at both sides of the house and I can put them on with a remote at my (and wifes) key-ring. It's part of the alarm-system for the house.
Come home, push button and look... there's light!! Without an alarm-system it costs, incl. lamps: 20 pounds I guess...

·
Registered
620 Posts
IMG_1164.jpg
IMG_1163.jpg

I wanted to fit extra lights without a nudge bar so with a little bit of fabrication managed to make two alluminiumn right angle brackets to mount them on. Hope the photo is self explanitary. I had to remove a little of the polystyrene from behind the bumper so I could attach the nut to the bolt to hold the bracket in place. I then wired the lights through switches, relays and fuses so they either operate with the main beam or independently. I will take some more photo's if required, hope this is some help.
:biggrin:

Martin.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
You're the kiddie Martin - just the job. As mentioned in my post I was thinking of fitting the fog lights here and swapping bumper fogs for spot lights, really just to keep them a bit higher up for better throw of light. How do you find yours - do you think they work well? Have you had any problems with stones flicking up at them or anything similar? Any more pics are always gratefully received :thumbs:

Thanks for responding to the post as well.

Cheers

·
Registered
620 Posts
Hi Vandy, :thumbs:
I have been very pleased with the extra light combined with brighter bulbs in the main headlamps. Forgot to mention to make the lamps more rigid and avoid vibration, once I'd fixed the angle I then pop riveted a small strip of metal between the bottom of the lamp and the bumper. No problem with stones etc. As you can see my brackets are a little bit improvised as I wanted to use the existing holes but at least they do the job. It's my air horn trumpet that suffered from stones!!!!!
IMG_1173.jpg
IMG_1174.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
669 Posts
It may be worth noting that my insurance company, when asked said that I could fit a roo/nudge/bumper bar if I informed them & paid an extra £30.00 per year. As yet, no bar has been fitted!

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Thanks for the extra info and pics Martin - certainly does the job. See what you mean about your air horn - shame.
All I need to do now then is choose some decent spots and get working.

Thanks again :thumbs:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.