Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I put together a how to upgrade stock speakers thread

Started with the rear speakers, I replaced the stock speakers with JBL 6.5's

I removed the door card following the how to from this link

http://www.australianxtrail.com.au/files/DOORTRIMREMOVALDIYGUIDE.pdf

I then proceeded to remove the stock speaker, by undoing the 3 philips screws

I looked at fitting the speaker straight into the hole but due to the weird shape it wasn't going to fit, I then thought about making some spacers from MDF but then decided to molest the stock speakers for there surrounds

Stock speaker

Mounting depth shot

Then I cut out the bits I didn't need anymore ensuring not to break the surround

The waste/ bits cut out

The speaker surround cleaned up

New speaker test fitted

Speaker screwed into the surround

New speaker mounting depth

Fitted on the car

Tomorrow ill be doing the front speakers and ill do something similar for the install

Hope this helps someone
Thanks
Neil

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Following on from installing the rear speakers yesterday today I install the front Mid's and Tweeters

Bearing in mind I already had the stock tweeters and brackets, I decided to keep that location for my tweeters

I bought a set of JBL Components with a inline crossover to allow a better fitment, I was able to use all stock wiring loom and fit the set-up correctly. The wires are joined behind the dash so the positive and negative are the same for the tweeter and mid range.

I removed the corner cover from the dash to get access to the tweeter, Give it a slight pull from the rear of the cover

Cover off

Tweeter plate removed

Tweeter unscrewed and removed from the plate

New tweeter holder screwed onto the plate using the stock screw's

New tweeter fitted up with cable tided up behind it with the crossover

I also kept the stock Nissan plug just to make it easier to remove if need be

When going to refit the covers for the dash I noticed this tube on the back which im guessing was design to tunnel the tweeter threw the vent lol

This had to be removed to allow refitting the panel

All done and u wouldn't know they were under there

As for the door speakers exactly the same as my rear door removal and refit just removed the old speaker and fitted my new ones in the housings

Here's the speakers I used
Front Comp's 6.5

Rear 6.5

Hope this helps someone

Thanks
Neil

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
cheers guys I hope it helps someone at some stage lol

Yeah the JBL mids & tweeters are great as are the rear jbl speakers it sounds so much clearer

Thanks
Neil

·
Registered
120 Posts
Looking good there cliffy.
Did you have any trouble with the white plastic clips flying off when you pulled the tweeter cover off?
When I was adding some wire behind they both decided to ping off in to the hole behind the dash :headbang: a bit of hand poking and proding and they both came out, put a bit of glue on them to help keep them in place next time.
Did you keep the stock speaker grills from the door panels or use the new ones?

Jamie

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Jamie

I did have any probs with plastic bits flying off lol (well not that i noticed)

As for the door speaker grills the stock grill is bigger than the grills for the 6.5 speakers i have a spare set of door cards and tried removing the door card one and fiting mine it just looked horrid

I can take a pic of it if u like

thanks
Neil

·
Registered
299 Posts
BUMP
Thought'd i'd add a comment just to nudge this up a but as I'm considering doing this myself and stumbled upon it by accident.
Some very useful tips, even 5 years on :)

Cheers
Mike

·
Registered
9 Posts
Have just done the doors and the tweeters on my xtrail, amazing difference and so easy to do! Thanks for the write up :thumbs:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Please dont jump on me for sounding thick, but i`ve read through this topic, and am puzzled with what exactly the crossovers do with the tweeters when you install them. :confused:

What i mean is, with this install how would the crossovers be wired up, i was under the impression as the stock tweeters were already wired, you would just wire the new ones up to the existing wiring? :-?

·
Registered
9 Posts
As far as I understand the crossover on a non active system is just a capacitor on the positive that separates the frequency acting as a "high pass" to stop the speaker playing everything and damaging itself.

So in answer to the question you just wire them up as per normal. My FLI ones had an inline crossover/capacitor, the standard one is soldered on the speaker which can be seen on the pic on the previous page. When I cut the speaker off the capacitor went with it.

Hope that makes some sense. :starwars:

·
Registered
5 Posts
M77TUK said:
As far as I understand the crossover on a non active system is just a capacitor on the positive that separates the frequency acting as a "high pass" to stop the speaker playing everything and damaging itself.

So in answer to the question you just wire them up as per normal. My FLI ones had an inline crossover/capacitor, the standard one is soldered on the speaker which can be seen on the pic on the previous page. When I cut the speaker off the capacitor went with it.

Hope that makes some sense. :starwars:
ok so if i was to buy the FLI speakers lets say, the + and - wires are snipped from the stock tweeter, fed into the crossover, then out the other side and into the new tweeter?

Its that simple?...... :eek:

and on a side note, how do the FLI speakers sound mate?

·
Registered
9 Posts
What you have described is exactly what I have done!

It sounds 5 times better than standard, I'm not a sound freak per say but it's definitely noticeable for the 30 quid speakers cost me (JVC 6.5's 20 eBay) (FLI tweeters 10 eBay)Both new)) and the 2 hours it took to do. The door speakers were easier(less fiddly) and made by far the most difference. 6.5 is the size to go for fit the standard surrounds perfectly.

On a side note worth a mention having taken apart Pathfinder dashboards/ Skylines/S15's/Honda trims the door card on the X-Trail are hands down the most easy i've ever taken apart and the tweeter covers basically fall off!

·
Registered
5 Posts
cheers or the advice. Ive had the front console off and unplugged all the connections, but i failed to label which one was which....the bottom connections that power the heater and AC controls look the same (the bottom ones in the picture)

.....will i damage them if i put the wrong one back in the wrong socket?....or will it just not work if its connected back up wrong?

Dont want to be blowing anything.........note to self, next time, label the damn things as i take them off.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
DOH!!!, just looked at the connectors i was concerned about and i realised they are a different fitting....lol.

Aaaaaaanyways, sorted it out, fitted a new head unit, and FLI 6.5" speakers. Sounds sweet.

Thanks for your advice guys.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi all,

I used this method to upgrade my front door speakers to a pair of Rainbow EL-C6.2 (bought from Germany on ebay, cheaper than uk even with delivery cost). Those are listed with a mounting depth of 62mm without a mounting ring (which they sell separately).

I saw a suggestion on one forum that the max mounting depth for the front is 60mm. The speakers are a little proud of the mountings due to being a touch too wide, so that probably takes care of the extra couple mm depth. I've not had any problems with the windows snagging them.

Hopefully this information is useful to someone as I took a bit of a gamble buying them.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts