Nissan X-Trail Forum banner
1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went out yesterday evening and a quarter of a mile from home my engine just cut out in the middle of a roundabout. Tried 3 or 4 times to restart it but no go. Then I had a thought and tried the "computer solution", turned the ignition off completely, waited 10 seconds and tried again. Second try it fired up and seemed normal so I completed my 15 mile journey all running well. Parked up for 3 hours while I went about my business. Car started straight away and drove home without any issues. Never missed a beat.

Last week on starting up at home one day the car stalled as I tried to move off. Strange being an automatic. It re-started instantly that time though. I don't know whether the two incidents are connected, but it has done nothing like either of them before in two years of ownership. Any ideas? Intermittent faults are always the worst.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi all and thanks for the replies. Sorry I haven't responded sooner but I have been away with my caravan and had no internet access. The car drove faultlessly up to Norfolk and for all our running around while up there. We came back earlier today and it never missed a beat coming back, so I still have no idea what caused it to cut out when it did, I guess it was just one of those unexplained mysteries. Probably not worth worrying about until it does it again.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Since the above it has done it a few more times. Yesterday it started instantly as usual, then when I was outside wiping the dew off the windows before driving off, it suddenly cut out. It took several attempts to get it to restart, but when it did it drove perfectly. Then this afternoon when I went to go out for the first time in the day, it started instantly again then cut out within seconds of me starting to move off. Again it took several attempts to get it to restart but it ran just fine when it did. It always seems to be the first start of the day, but it starts readily then cuts out after a few moments and is difficult to start again. Never known a fault like it and I've been around cars for many decades. When it cuts out, it cuts instantly, like I'd turned the ignition off. No spluttering or hesitation, just cuts dead. When I try to restart it spins over and over with no attempt to fire. Then after the third or fourth attempt, away it goes perfectly. Anyone else had this problem? I hate intermittent faults!

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Have I discovered a new fault that nobody else has come across? I must admit I've never known a car do it before. Difficult starting I have come across, but never starting perfectly then stopping again after a short period then being difficult to restart, then running perfectly once it has. Nobody any ideas?

·
Registered
Nissan X Trail Columbia 2.2 DCi 2006
847 Posts
Hi Colin

Plenty of ideas but I cannot possibly know for sure. I would certainly start with the crank and cam sensors, either by having them scoped and correlation checked, or by substitution / replacement.

·
Super Moderator
3,186 Posts
Fuel return pipe. There is a valve that puts the injector return system under pressure. When the valve fails, then the engine is hard to start.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi Colin

Plenty of ideas but I cannot possibly know for sure. I would certainly start with the crank and cam sensors, either by having them scoped and correlation checked, or by substitution / replacement.
Hi thanks for the reply. Wouldn't they both affect normal running? I have been out in the car this afternoon and done around 150 miles. Today the car started straight away and ran well and never missed a beat throughout the journey. Started straight away for the return trip too.

Fuel return pipe. There is a valve that puts the injector return system under pressure. When the valve fails, then the engine is hard to start.
Thanks for your reply too. The strange thing about this is that the car isn't initially hard to start. It always starts instantly whenever I go to it. Often it starts and runs normally throughout the journey, but every now and then it will start up normally then cut out somewhere between 10 seconds and 3 minutes later. That's when it becomes hard to start up again. It normally only does it on the first start of the day and once it has been started once it will start without any problems for the rest of the day.

The last time the car "played-up" was Sunday. I used it Monday evening, yesterday morning, then again in the afternoon, then again today leaving home around 1pm. On all those occasions it behaved perfectly. It is definitely an intermittent fault, so it means that I now have to start every journey 10 minutes earlier just in case it acts-up.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well the car is now booked in to our local garage on 10th November. They are booked solid until then. When I spoke to them yesterday they said it sounds like air is getting into the fuel line somewhere. It is starting up on the fuel left in the pipe, then when it gets to the air bubble it cuts out, which is kind of what I suspected.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hand pump rubber?
Thanks, yes that does sound like one possibility. I did try on one occasion giving this a few sqeezes, but it still took a lot of cranking on the starter motor afterwards to get it to fire. I presume that the main fuel pumps are electric rather than mechanical lift pumps driven by the engine. I am much more familiar with very old engines than modern ones, and I mean engines from the 1960s and 1970s, rather than 21st century ones.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hand pump rubber?
I had a similar problem on my 57 plate diesel. It'd start fine, run for 1/4 mile or so then cut out as you accelerate. There's a hill 1/4 mile from my house, if it was going to cut out it'd be there.

I changed the fuel filter (even genuine one) which didn't seem to help. Eventually found a crack in the rubber priming pump, replaced that (and nearby hoses & clamps) and never had an issue again. £5 fix, and it probably needed the filter anyway.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I had a similar problem on my 57 plate diesel. It'd start fine, run for 1/4 mile or so then cut out as you accelerate. There's a hill 1/4 mile from my house, if it was going to cut out it'd be there.

I changed the fuel filter (even genuine one) which didn't seem to help. Eventually found a crack in the rubber priming pump, replaced that (and nearby hoses & clamps) and never had an issue again. £5 fix, and it probably needed the filter anyway.
Yes that sounds like the same thing. Mine runs for anything from 10 seconds to a couple of minutes. Second time it did it, it did it after about 1/4 of a mile, but often it does it before I have even left my driveway. Like earlier today.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Hi Bus-man. The fuel pump on the T31 X-Trail with M9R engine is not electrical. It sits on the engine itself and takes a mechanical drive off a sprocket on one of the camshafts.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi Bus-man. The fuel pump on the T31 X-Trail with M9R engine is not electrical. It sits on the engine itself and takes a mechanical drive off a sprocket on one of the camshafts.
Thanks for that info Adrian, I had just assumed they were all electrical these days. All the diesels I have worked on in the dim and distant past had a mechanical lift pump and injector pump. My knowledge is decades out of date.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks for that info Adrian, I had just assumed they were all electrical these days. All the diesels I have worked on in the dim and distant past had a mechanical lift pump and injector pump. My knowledge is decades out of date.
I had the exact same fault with my 2007.
The issue is that the fuel in the suction side slowly drains back to the the tank when the engine is stopped.
The high pressure pump and lines are still filled with fuel, so the engine starts right up and runs, but if its to much air, the low pressure pump can't get suction and the engine dies when the fuel runs out.
If it's a smaller amount of air in the lines, the low pressure pump creates enough vacuum to get fuel going and fills up the high pressure pump before the engine dies.
If you pump the ball before each start, it will run perfectly.

Now, however, my engine doesen't run unless I hand pump with the rubber ball, and still only just, so it seems to have developed a second problem.
My guess right now is that the hp pump breaks down from running without fuel too many times.

Im not impressed with these M9R engines.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I had the exact same fault with my 2007.
The issue is that the fuel in the suction side slowly drains back to the the tank when the engine is stopped.
The high pressure pump and lines are still filled with fuel, so the engine starts right up and runs, but if its to much air, the low pressure pump can't get suction and the engine dies when the fuel runs out.
If it's a smaller amount of air in the lines, the low pressure pump creates enough vacuum to get fuel going and fills up the high pressure pump before the engine dies.
If you pump the ball before each start, it will run perfectly.

Now, however, my engine doesen't run unless I hand pump with the rubber ball, and still only just, so it seems to have developed a second problem.
My guess right now is that the hp pump breaks down from running without fuel too many times.

Im not impressed with these M9R engines.
Thanks for your reply MartenSwe. What you say makes a lot of sense to me, although I'm not that familiar with the X Trail fuel system. When you say about pumping the ball, do you mean before making any attempt to start, or when it has died? I have tried doing the latter and it didn't seem to make much difference, I still had to crank the engine over for quite a while before it finally fired up. I was a bit concerned that I would flatten the battery before it did. I haven't tried pumping before making the initial start though. Maybe I'll try that before I go out tomorrow morning. My car is going in to my local independent garage on Wednesday, providing it keeps going until then. I have used them a few times before and they seem very good. They are a family-run business and they certainly seem to have an excellent reputation in this area. They are always very busy which is why I have had to wait nearly two weeks. I hope you manage to get your car sorted too.
Colin.

1 - 20 of 98 Posts