Nissan X-Trail Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
T30 2005 YD22 dci
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I bought an T30 with a blown turbo and replaced it.
Engine seems to have good power, no wierd sounds, but still smokes extremly much in exhaust.
No leakage from intercooler.
Im afraid to destroy the new turbo if I continue to drive the car since it smokes so extremly much in exhaust, so Im really seeking a solution.

I have two theories:

1. The oil pressure regulator is jammed - causing high oil pressure and damage to the turbo.
Anyone had this issue? Is it likely that this could be the problem?

2. The pressure sensor on intercooler is broken. Sending signal about low pressure to ECU causing the actual pressure to be way to high - causing damage to the turbo.
Is this a common issue? Is it likely that this could be the problem?

I was also thinking about broken piston rings, but I kind of eliminated that as a theory because the engine has good power.

·
Registered
T30 2005 YD22 dci
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Black smoke?
Clogged intake ports. Faulty or aftermarket MAF can also do this.
Hi Atho42,

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, the smoke is black.
Just learned about the MAF today, soI have just cleaned it with el-cleaner spray now. It was quite dirty.
Also changed the air filter.
I will take it for a long drive tomorrow and check status.
Will give feedback here.

·
Registered
T30 2005 YD22 dci
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Took it for a longer drive today.
I think the newly replaced turbo is fu**ed now.
At on my way back, I had to held the rpm below 2000 otherwise the turbo started to wistle...

I`m about to give up this project.

@Ahto42:
What do you mean by "Clogged intake ports"?
Are you referring to the air filter and airfilter box and hoses?
Checked the hoses and replaced the airfilter.
EGR is also cleaned.
Could a faulty PCV valve lead to a damaged turbo?

Suggestions anyone?

·
Super Moderator
3,200 Posts

Still you have to get it diagnosed properly, A wistling turbo can still create boost. I once tried a cheap aftermarket ebay Maf and it did cause black smoke because the readings where incorrect for the ECU. guessing and throwing parts on it is expencive. I got almost rid of the black smoke after my engine rebuilt when i cleanet the intake manifold, cylinder head intake ports had like 5-6mm thick layer of gunk on it and had some slightly bent valves. After cleaning, replacing and reseated the valves, it ran normal. Slight black under heavy load, but that is normal without a DPF.
I have said it before, if do not know what you are doing, don't do it. It will cost more to fix it aftewards.

·
Registered
T30 2005 YD22 dci
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have said it before, if do not know what you are doing, don't do it. It will cost more to fix it aftewards.
Well, thats the reasion why I use this forum. Try to learn how to do it right ;)
A rebuild of the engine is not an option for me.

·
Registered
T30 2005 YD22 dci
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Today I opened the rocket cover and inspected the turbo.
To my surprice, the turbo seems to be ok. No big slack or movements.

I wanted also to test the pcv in the rocket cover.
The pcv tube sticking out of the rocket cover is letting air flow both ways. Full open. Same with the small nipple inside cover. I`m supriced that it has no valve function.
@Ahto42: Is that normal?
I seached the forum for previous discussions about the rocket cover pcv valve, but I did not find info where someone actually tested the functionality of it.

I inspected also the air hose between intercooler and inlet manifold to see if it could be clogged. It looked quite clean. Plan was to dismantle the inlet manifold to inspect and maybe clean it, but Im not shure if I will go on with the job since I did not fint much dirt in the hose.

Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Helmet
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Steering part Motor vehicle
Photograph White Automotive tire Light Black
Motor vehicle Rectangle Gas Font Auto part
Automotive tire Light Black Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system
Hood Light Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive tire
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Product Motor vehicle
Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive air manifold Auto part Metal

1 - 9 of 9 Posts