Nissan X-Trail Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Happy new year to you all, not so happy for me sadly, my T31 has started playing up, I was driving down the road the other day and I noticed it felt really sluggish, I pulled in and stopped and started the car and it seemed to be ok and turbo worked fine.

A little further down the road and it went back to being sluggish and no turbo.

After a bit of searching on the forum and looking under the bonnet I noticed that the pressure converter (not sure if this is the right name but what i found online) was an aftermarket one and loosely connected so I replaced like for like because I knew the car was fine before.
Link of part replaced - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00 ... UTF8&psc=1

I replaced the part today, at first the car felt the same but once passed the stuttering at 2-3000 rpm it felt like it was unblocked and turbo again, it didn't feel as much boost as normal tho, it would come back now and then and feel like normal or go sluggish again.

I'm really hoping it's not the turbo sticking, I've not seen any smoke out the back so next thing I'm wondering if it's fuel starvation, or the MAF sensor, I've plugged car into basic OB2 readers and found no codes so without a full diagnostic with more details I think I'm going to struggle, is there anything else that's common on the T31 engine to cause these issues?
It's a 2007 2.0 DCI auto with about 164 thousand miles.

Many thanks for your help and advice in advance.
Doug

·
Registered
3,957 Posts
Hi Doug

When did it last have a full service. By a full service I mean.....

Air filter changed
Diesel filter changed
Engine oil and filter changed
Maf sensor cleaned

If none of the above have been done in the last 6 months / 6000 miles then I would get them done.

Then.....
Clean the egr valve and inlet manifold. Best way is take it off and clean, but if that is impractical then use some wynns egr cleaner.

Dont use supermarket fuel, put a can of BG244 or archoil 6400 into the fuel tank then fill with a premium high octane fuel such as shell vpower or bp ultimate.

Check all the vacuum tubes that run from the boost solenoid are intact, attached and no leaks.

Check the induction tubes from the air filter housing to the intercooler to the inlet manifold are tight, intact and no leaks.

After all of the above, see how it runs.

Best regards
Milton :biggrin:

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
I would use OEM part on the turbo pressure control valve. I once changed it on the T30 from land rover one. Car felt diferent. Got an OEM one from Poland and all the power was back.
Also check the vacuum lines from vacuum pump to the valve and to the turbo.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Check if the revs go up after disconnecting the MAF sensor. By disconnecting the MAF sensor the ECU should take the preset valve, ( you will get a MIL light). if it solves the issue MAF is the culprit.
If doesn't. Check MAP sensor.
i had the same issue with my Xtrail T31 MAP was the culprit. MAP Sensor part no 8200685363 (Bosch part #0281002958) This is part number is for T31 2.0 dc M9R engine 150 bhp

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cheers for all the help guys, just going to have another look today, I had the AA out the other day having a wee look, but the guy was at a loss, he found a P0488 code relating back to the EGR.
We unplugged the EGR and the car drove a bit better like a normal non Turbo car but still no boost.

Sadly he couldn't help further, so yesterday I was going to take the car to the local town to get some high octane diesel and engine cleaner as talked about and the engine management light was on.

Had a wee look and it was P2100 & P0120 codes for throttle position these cleared and went for a wee run and didn't come back, even with unplugging the EGR the car didn't have any codes so it's all a bit confusing and annoying I really can't take it far.

I'm going to have a wee look at airbox see if there is any oil as the car (first time in last 6 thousand miles of owning it said the oil was low so I'm suspecting It's blowing oil out somewhere.

Thanks again for all the help, does anyone know if there is any links for a workshop manual?

Cheers

Doug

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As instructed I went and removed the MAF sensor, turbo back and driving alot better, I took for a few mile spin and switched off and plugged it in and out few times to see if fault came back on the road trip and deff no turbo or anything with MAF plugged in and alot better without

Cheers again

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for that, I think I'm going to have to, I changed the MAF sensor today and now it's just as powerless as ever and no turbo again, It's strange as soon as I disconnect the MAF it's fine.

****** cars :headbang: :bigcry:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Have you any warning lights on your dash? I ask because this could also be limp home if your DPF is becoming clogged and I've heard of this happening without the DPF or the engine management light coming on.

If you want to eliminate this as a problem take the car a short drive then get beneath it and (carefully) feel around the DPF box. Don't burn yourself. Alternatively let it idle and periodically test the DPF box. It should heat evenly on all sides and be warmest nearest the engine. If you have a cold side the DPF is clogged.

The DPR is at the front end of your exhaust system, not huge and with pipes and sensor around it.

It's probably not this but if your struggling it's an easy and quick test.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts