Nissan X-Trail Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

My 57 plate Aventura has HID headlights, for which there is no manual adjustment. Recently the headlights have stopped adjusting, and are now always pointed right into the floor, as if on most dipped setting. The hard line at the top of the beam is only about 5m infront of the car, so not safe for driving on unlit roads. I have to use full beams, which seem to reach a similar distance that the dipped beams used to.

There's a sensor near the back of the car, and motor on the headlight assembly, any way to check if they are functioning? I have ordered a 2nd hand replacement sensor which I'll try when it arrives.

Thanks!

Map Font Schematic Parallel Auto part

·
Registered
480 Posts
It will most likely be the rear sensor as it gets quite a pounding with road grime. They can be adjusted manually as mine were a little low. My garage sorted it by adjusting to highest point acceptable on their MOT test bed as 90% of time it's only me in the car but don't try it till you've fitted that part. The other bits rarely go wrong.

I used to have Saabs and I lost count of the number of times I needed a new rear leveller - they also had a front axle sensor just to make things worse!!!!

Once you've got them working consider and level set check them for condition - i.e. going pink meaning degraded. Mines a 2011 Tekna Facelift and I swapped mine for the new Osram Nightbreaker Laser - I couldn't beleive how much brighter they were over original and a much longer beam which picked up anything white or reflective much sooner - note these are road legal and don't blind drivers if set correctly XENARC NIGHT BREAKER LASER | OSRAM Automotive

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It will most likely be the rear sensor as it gets quite a pounding with road grime. They can be adjusted manually as mine were a little low. My garage sorted it by adjusting to highest point acceptable on their MOT test bed as 90% of time it's only me in the car but don't try it till you've fitted that part. The other bits rarely go wrong.

I used to have Saabs and I lost count of the number of times I needed a new rear leveller - they also had a front axle sensor just to make things worse!!!!

Once you've got them working consider and level set check them for condition - i.e. going pink meaning degraded. Mines a 2011 Tekna Facelift and I swapped mine for the new Osram Nightbreaker Laser - I couldn't beleive how much brighter they were over original and a much longer beam which picked up anything white or reflective much sooner - note these are road legal and don't blind drivers if set correctly XENARC NIGHT BREAKER LASER | OSRAM Automotive
Thanks Jim that's really useful, once they're working I might look into the upgraded lamps, although considering swapping for a 2014 facelift model in the summer, this one is starting to play up.

When you say they can be adjusted manually, do you know how that's done? Is there a screw adjustment on the headlight, or by manually setting the sensor arm?

·
Registered
480 Posts
Thanks Jim that's really useful, once they're working I might look into the upgraded lamps, although considering swapping for a 2014 facelift model in the summer, this one is starting to play up.

When you say they can be adjusted manually, do you know how that's done? Is there a screw adjustment on the headlight, or by manually setting the sensor arm?
Mine I think might be different as the facelift headlamp is different design but I'm pretty sure there are 2 holes in the metal work above the unit where you need a long screwdriver/hex/star bit to get down to adjuster. I do know mine were done manually by garage - I need to have a look but it is pouring with rain. The levelling sensor is literally a sensor on an arm that moves with suspension and not adjustable.

You'll find the facelift much nicer than the one you've got. The dash is nicer for a start and then you get better fuel economy etc. There were a considerable amount of improvements on facelift - many you can't see so go for it if you can and a 2014 will be very very end of production so everything should be sorted - only thing is I don't like that later Sat Nav screen although you'll have birdview parking cameras.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mine I think might be different as the facelift headlamp is different design but I'm pretty sure there are 2 holes in the metal work above the unit where you need a long screwdriver/hex/star bit to get down to adjuster.
Finally got round to fitting the (2nd hand) replacement sensor, no luck unfortunately. I thought I was onto a winner because the ball joints on the old arm 'connecting rod' were seized up, but after replacement the lights still point at the floor. Had a good look round the headlights and can't see any screws or holes, maybe I'm looking in the wrong place or maybe pre-facelift lights are different.

Trying to get an auto electrician to look at it, MOT is due soon I think it'll fail at the moment.

Amusingly some bits fell off the bottom of the car while I was under it, landed on my face. I don't recognise them, but will post a new thread and see if anyone else does. It wasn't even a "just came off in my hand" situation, I don't think I touched them!

You'll find the facelift much nicer than the one you've got. The dash is nicer for a start and then you get better fuel economy etc. There were a considerable amount of improvements on facelift - many you can't see so go for it if you can and a 2014 will be very very end of production so everything should be sorted - only thing is I don't like that later Sat Nav screen although you'll have birdview parking cameras.
I think so too, shame 2014 is as new as we can go, I'm not so keen on the T32. Just keeping an eye out for a low mileage 14 plate in good nick.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Finally got round to fitting the (2nd hand) replacement sensor, no luck unfortunately. I thought I was onto a winner because the ball joints on the old arm 'connecting rod' were seized up, but after replacement the lights still point at the floor. Had a good look round the headlights and can't see any screws or holes, maybe I'm looking in the wrong place or maybe pre-facelift lights are different.

Trying to get an auto electrician to look at it, MOT is due soon I think it'll fail at the moment.

Amusingly some bits fell off the bottom of the car while I was under it, landed on my face. I don't recognise them, but will post a new thread and see if anyone else does. It wasn't even a "just came off in my hand" situation, I don't think I touched them!

I think so too, shame 2014 is as new as we can go, I'm not so keen on the T32. Just keeping an eye out for a low mileage 14 plate in good nick.
As Ahto42 says it will need to be recalibrated by your garage if they have the kit to do it - sure they have. Get it done in MOT testing bay on their screen and have set to highest possible :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts