Nissan X-Trail Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear all, sad news my rear diff has gone west !

Symptoms being , strong smell of burning oil, smoking diff and a grinding noise. When oil drained it was very black with metal bits in and a lump of metal by the drain plug, that was just a bit too big to get out of the drain hole.

I have been trying to track down a replacement diff, and I am wondering how exact the numbers need to match on the diff.

I have found three locations for the numbers.
easiest to see is by the drain plug, mine reads R145#1B.
second is at the prop shaft end, and mine reads CAO #1A
last is ontop of the diff, difficult to see when diff is fitted, mine reads CAO 2.

My question is how exact do I need to be in matching the numbers to a second hand diff.

Thanks for all advice in anticipation.

I hope I have posted this in the correct place. Not done much posting.

Howard

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would say through the range of T31 with 2.0l 6 speed manual box they used the same diff .Not sure about the auto gearbox diff in the T31 though .Don't forget the 2.0l diesel manual 6 speed quashqai had same running gear as the T31 so same diiff too .Ring a few breakers yards .Don;t be worried about buying from a breakers yard . I fitted a rear subframe with the diff last year from a 2009 year and is absolutely fine(Get the breakers to drop a bit of oil out the diff if worried)
Thanks Leafy,
MIne is the T31 6 speed manual. I had heard the Qashqai and T31 shared the same running gear, but I rang my local Nissan dealer and they were about as helpfull as a chocolate fire guard. Actually said T31 and quashqai totaly different. I think they just wanted me to take the repair to them, so they could charge stupid prices to fix it.
Thanks for the info, will ring the breakers yards today.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts