Nissan X-Trail Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Could it be the old oil that came out had over time thickened? I had that happen on my Saab - you knew it had been serviced because when cold it sounded a little tappety.

Mine is a little louder when cold but goes v quiet when warmed up and at 175k couldn't be happier. I swapped wheels front to back on Sunday to give even wear. I always do it every 3k and so far they still have around 6.5mm on all after 16k

·
Registered
537 Posts
Adrian4X4 said:
It has quietened a bit now after about 100 miles, but still audible when cold.
I can't work it out though, on this service I am back to the Castrol Edge (with titanium) 5W30 Fully Synthetic that I used on my first service when I bought the car in 2017, so the car has had this exact oil before and I don't quite remember this sound. This is my favourite consumer engine oil around today.
After that, and until last Friday's service it was Mobile One 5W30, which to me was the thinnest of the two when pouring.
Both brands are expensive, despite this time buying from Ebay. Its going to have to stay in the engine until next service as I'm not going to waste it. That will not be until next year at the recommended next interval of 12,500 miles.
The only thing I can think of was that these two 4L cartons of Castrol oil sat in my very hot garden shed unopened since I bought them in April, but considering the heat they will experience in the engine, I would have thought that would have zero effect. Then I wondered if the cartons had been tampered with since I bought them over Ebay, but cartons were original and still had seals on them so don't think that is likely.

Ahto42, yes I'm doing well with current tyres also, the first decent tyres I have ever bought; Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season which look like they are going to do two years and 25K miles minimum, hard to say just yet, maybe more than that. I've never had tyres last quite that long before, but then again I've never before bought decent tyres.
My wifes Golf has got Michelin Cross Climates on it and they've now done 38k and just about ready to replace!!! My Quatracs are doing really well

1 - 2 of 2 Posts