Nissan X-Trail Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We need to get a tow bar fitted to the t32 Tekna and i wondered if anyone has had one fitted, how much you paid, how it looks, bumper cuts etc.

Local Nissan dealer want over £800 and local towbar centre not an awful lot less around my way
Really want a removable one with twin sockets for the caravan

Any advice and photos would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I posted on here I fitted a T30 myself from them.
I would take a look here:
http://www.pfjones.co.uk/tow-bar-types-explained.html

Work out what sort you want, their own flange one was actually a witter in disguise, fitted very well indeed to the T30

I had quotes for around £245 fitted by independents, so if you dont want to do it, I would shop around after the quote from Nissan

·
Registered
3,957 Posts
Personally I would get it fitted by a reputable professional company. Whereas with the T30 model a self fit is well within the remit of a DIY person the modern cars demand more intricate skills and tools. For example, when you hitch up your caravan and plug in the Electrics the car electronics will note that a trailer is attached and can do the following...

Switch off rear parking sensors and cameras
Adjust suspension setting
Use secondary towing map in ecu software to give more torque to engine
Remap the auto gearbox settings
Switch off rear fog light on car
And various other things.

I am not saying that the T32 does all of the above, but it is a fairly intelligent car and I bet it does some of it if not all.

I would contact Nissan and ask the question "what gets adjusted when a trailer is attached"

Best regards
Milton :biggrin:

P.s be interested to know how you get on towing with it. What's the mtpml of your van ?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Big D, go to etrailer.com (a USA company) they have a number of videos installing tow bars on the Nissan Rogue. It will give you an idea of whether it is difficult or not if you are considering a self install.
I have a Tekna on order (April) and will most likely buy one from PF Jones and install it myself.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi folks we have a static caravan in north Wales and I've just bought a 2017 1.6 tekna auto and when we go too the van we pass an industrial estate that have a witter Towbars place so I contacted them for a quote as Nissan wanted £575 and witter want £375+vat which is roughly£450 and that's warranted proper wiring harness and the Towbar is detachable which I consider to be really reasonable

·
Registered
21 Posts
I've also got a witter swan neck detachable. Very neat fit. Hardly see anything when detached. Used their approved mobile installer. Cost about £590 inc vat all in. I did have some pictures but can't find them at the moment.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi folks well on Friday I had my witter detectable towbar fitted by Chester towbar & trailer centre Ltd and the guys said can you give us four hours to complete which to me was fine as we popped into Chester too a retail park we love using and 2 1/2 hrs later got a phone call saying I my car was ready for collection job done so back we go and because it was drizzling with rain the gentleman brought my car into the workshop and went thru how too attach the towbar and explained all and showed all the electrics working too and also exlpained the warranty too to say I'm chuffed is an understatement it looks amazing so neat and so unnoticeable my only critism is the firm have no were where you can leave a feedback on how they've done as nowadays people are all too ready to slate but not to often upcoming with complimentary comments

Sorry for long post :biggrin:

Total cost was £450 and that's vat included

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Hello Bassetman,
Bassetman said:
Hi folks well on Friday I had my witter detectable towbar fitted by Chester towbar & trailer centre Ltd and...
Thanks for posting, good to see a positive report of service received. :thumbs: :biggrin:

When you have a minute, please complete your profile. I know that you will get a better response from Members to future posts if they can see your model and year.
Follow Umbongo's guide here... :thumbs:
viewtopic.php?f=38&t=4901

Kind regards, John

·
Registered
31 Posts
I am having one fitted by local dealer. Cost will be £350 but I've not got intergrated wiring loom but made sure the universal one is suitable with LED alights that are fitted in the caravan, also detachable

·
Registered
21 Posts
Bassetman said:
Hi folks well on Friday I had my witter detectable towbar fitted by Chester towbar & trailer centre Ltd and the guys said can you give us four hours to complete which to me was fine as we popped into Chester too a retail park we love using and 2 1/2 hrs later got a phone call saying I my car was ready for collection job done so back we go and because it was drizzling with rain the gentleman brought my car into the workshop and went thru how too attach the towbar and explained all and showed all the electrics working too and also exlpained the warranty too to say I'm chuffed is an understatement it looks amazing so neat and so unnoticeable my only critism is the firm have no were where you can leave a feedback on how they've done as nowadays people are all too ready to slate but not to often upcoming with complimentary comments

Sorry for long post :biggrin:

Total cost was £450 and that's vat included
Just out of interest, do your rear parking sensors switch off when you have atached your electrics from your trailer/caravan?

·
Registered
3,957 Posts
cowboy said:
Thanks Shires. Thats far better price. Was quoted nearly that for a fixed flange one. Do they arrange the mobile fitter or recommend one.

Cheers. Martyn.
Hey Martyn :biggrin:
Have you joined the ranks of the large Qashqai owners :confused:
Best regards
Milton :biggrin:

·
Registered
21 Posts
cowboy said:
Thanks Shires. Thats far better price. Was quoted nearly that for a fixed flange one. Do they arrange the mobile fitter or recommend one.

Cheers. Martyn.
When you order online it comes up with fitting options where you can take it to a fitter or a mobile fitter comes up as an option and you choose a date. Very easy to use

·
Registered
790 Posts
Thanks for tbe replies. Going to have a test drive in on at the weekend Milton. If we go for it will be sorry to see the old girl go after 10yrs of ownership. Will probably put her up for sale on here as well as elsewhere.

Cheers. Martyn.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Will be fitting my detachable swan neck from PF Jones tomorrow. £165 delivered. Dedicated wiring kit from just tow £66 delivered.
Pretty good value for what looks to be a substantial bit of kit.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.