Nissan X-Trail Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ever since I had my X-T (about 30K miles ago) I have had this annoying rattle from the engine. It occurs on load and seems to cut in about 200RPM. On overrun it disappears and also seems to get quieter about 3000-3500RPM. It is more pronounced when cold, but still there when warm. I mentioned it to Nissan just after i bought it and the response was "cant hear anything". It is still there, arguably it cant be that bad (small ends? :eek: ) but it is frustrating not knowing what it is. My assumption is "it wasnt designed with it - it cant be correct".
Whilst perusing another forum, I saw mentioned the issue of "injector knock". I gather this is a known problem with the diesels, but does anyone have any experience of it on the petrol X-T's (mine is a 2.0). Is there a way to identify if that is what the noise is? I have a generic fault reader, nothing is shown, but I can read "live" data, if I knew what to look for. If it is injector knock, can it be traced to one injector? Is it a case of having them checked - or replaced :x ?

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have almost the same noise. It is worse when the engine is cold i.e. first thing in the morning, and after 7 - 10km it almost disappears. If I open the windows I can just make out the noise. Which I would describe as more of a rattle.

Now yesterday, I went out after lunch, and because the oil was warmer [I live in Spain] the noise was hardly noticeable.

My thoughts are that it is the timing chain rattling as the oil takes a bit of time to get to the tensioner. I do not know if my car was re-called for the timing chain problem.

What was the timing chain re-call for?

Could it be this?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
here ya go.....
http://www.theaa.com/allaboutcars/recal ... &makeId=D0

Recall Ref: R/2004/089
Exact Model: Almera X-Trail
Description: Possibility that the sprocket bolt at the rear side of the camshaft could break
VIN: JN1TENT20U0000007 to JN1TENT30U0035143
Build Date:
Numbers: 3001
Defect: The timing chain tensioner may become defective, which can result in the timing chain jamming. Should this occur, the engine may stall or fail to start. The condition may also result in the camshaft turning in a non-uniform fashion, which could lead to the failure of the vacuum pump drive, and a reduction in braking assistance.
Action: Recalled vehicles will have the camshaft chain guide and tensioner replaced.
Launch Date: 23 June 2004

it isnt clear whether it is all X-T's the petrol or the doozil models. Maybe someone can enlighten us?
Mind yu - my VIN starts JN1TANT30U....... so I dont think it applies to mine :headbang:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I thought it might be - one thing tho - "my" rattle only occurs when accelerating - ie under load. This, in itself, seems to be different from the "timing chain rattle"

·
Registered
38 Posts
Yes, I think my rattle is mainly when under load. I had the trailer on today and it was very noticeable. I now think it could be the tappets.

Are they hydraulic and would they quieten when the engine is fully warmed up?

·
Registered
38 Posts
I am using 5W-40, but a supermarket own brand. It's fully synthetic and because the oil cost is cheaper I will change it very 5,000 kms. I don't over-rev the car. It's Jan 07 and 57,000 Kms.

I have no idea what has gone on before I bought it. It's leaking a bit of oil from the turbo up into the charge air cooler. Just showing on the dipstick after 2,000 kms.

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
Hmmmmm cheaper than an engine rattle!!!!

Changing oil every 5000 miles? Come on.... Why??! I changed my oil not one time in 40.000 Kilometers. Notting happened. It's not, repeat NOT necessarily to do so. 10-15.000 miles will do.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.