Nissan X-Trail Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Administrator
2,758 Posts
Specific Engine Checks for Nissan X-Trail (2001 - Present):
Area What to look for
What it means What to do
Turbo engines (Check 1) Open the bonnet and look for a silver box on top of the engine block. Inspect all around the box for oil weeping out. Usually, if oil is weeping out, it will be from the front left hand corner. The intercooler is leaking and needs to be replaced. Negotiate a £1,800 discount or have the repair completed.
Turbo engines (Check 2) When the engine is stationary, rev the engine and check the mirrors for signs of white smoke. Also listen for a whistling noise as you rev the engine. If there is a whistle or white smoke, then the turbo needs replacing. Negotiate a £850 discount or have the repair completed.
Service campaign Check that the car had a full main dealer service history for the life of the original manufacturer warranty. Some X-Trails have been subject to a 'service campaign' where the manufacturer has upgraded certain engine management parts on the car during services. If the car does not have a full main dealer service history for the period of the original warranty, the car may not have had these updates. In particular many 2.2 Diesel engines were subject to an ECU and boost sensor upgrade. Contact a main dealer, read the car's VIN to them and ask if the car needs any updates.

Check all lights function also the horn works as there is a fault on some X-Trails in the wiring loom in the engine bay.

Check your tires have plenty of tread left on them and for uneven wear.

Go for a test drive before buying and find a bumpy road to drive along as it will find any faults with the suspension and when your turning tight corners listen out for grinding noises from the front and rear.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Umbongo's advice is sound, but I was under the impression that a small amount of turbo whistle is normal. I bought mine at 8k miles / 1 year and it did it then and still does it the same at 17k. It is very slight.
The silver box is the intercooler which is a large box on top of the engine in pre 2007 (T30) 2.2 diesel. Its not there on the 2.0l T31, to be honest I don't know where it is! must look, but I have not heard of problems with the T31 intercooler.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi All,
I have now purchased the above vehicle my first xtrail :biggrin: It has still got a manufactures warranty until July this year would it be worth me booking this in to Nissan for a check up.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
gemeit said:
Hi All,
I have now purchased the above vehicle my first xtrail :biggrin: It has still got a manufactures warranty until July this year would it be worth me booking this in to Nissan for a check up.
Congratulations - I assume this is one of the first T31 new versions that came out in 07?

Service intervals are every 12,500 miles, so your 4th service should be due very soon. But I would check with the dealer to make sure that all the recall work has been done and, if not, to book it in for that.

I'm sure you will be very happy - I certainly am with mine.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
John Willett said:
Congratulations - I assume this is one of the first T31 new versions that came out in 07?

Service intervals are every 12,500 miles, so your 4th service should be due very soon. But I would check with the dealer to make sure that all the recall work has been done and, if not, to book it in for that.

I'm sure you will be very happy - I certainly am with mine.
Hi John yes it is a T31 hope it all good

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.