Nissan X-Trail Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Due to my wife's worsening arthritis she is finding it difficult to get into my Defender so I am looking to buy an X Trail. The nearest equivalent to the Defender with difflock and low range seems to be the Land Cruiser and Jeep Wrangler both of which are overpriced and difficult to get.
Does the new X Trail come with the All mode drive system and is this comparable with a diff lock in wet/muddy conditions as I do a lot of caravaning using ad hoc fields (Temporary camping sites)?
If I go for a 2-3 year old motor are there any problems I should look out for?
Thanks

·
Super Moderator
3,186 Posts
If you go for an X-trail then 2.0 dci with the 177hp.
The x does not have real diff locks, but brake assisted limited slip diff system. And you can lock the 4wd clutch that ensures that the front and rear axles are together and not vectoring the torque.

·
Registered
31 Posts
4x4 was only an option on diesels as far as I remember, and a manual gearbox (but not certain about that gearbox bit)
There were only 2 4x4 models available on Autotrader, nationwide, when I bought mine last year. So that didn't help with the price negotiations at all.
I have the 2.0dci, not had to use the 4x4 yet, I usually leave it on Auto :rolleyes: Although the manual mentions limited use of the Lock mode, which would suit your criteria.

As for problems, consider using some additional DPF cleaner in the fuel, if you don't get many motorway miles. I don't know the age of your Defender, or if you have any experience of a DPF in that, I didn't in my old car, as its a bit of a pain when that gets clogged.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts