Nissan X-Trail Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm looking at buying a new X-Trail, and I really can't decide between 7 seats and 5. I'm concerned that the boot is 100L smaller with the 3rd row of seats folded. Does anyone know if it's possible to completely remove the 3rd row, if I'm going on holiday for example, and need the extra space?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Not sure if they come out but as they fold flat I cant see the need to do that. Row 2 can slide forward if you want more boot room but depends on if you have people sat in row 2, The row 2 seats split also so you could say leave the person sat behind the driver in the correct position but slide the one behind the front passenger seat fully forward

·
Registered
22 Posts
but of an old thread now, but I had a look at this in mine and thought I'd add content for reference :D

from what I could see the third row of seats should come our with one bolt being undone.

I slid the 2nd row all the way forward and removed a plastic cover that sits on the floor in the centre of each rear 3rd row seat.
I think undoing these 2 bolts and then lifting the release catches for the 3rd row (as you do the gain access to the spare wheel), would be enough to release them.
I couldn't see any wires going to the third row seats so they should come our hassle free.

There would be a few problems however.
1: the mounting brackets for the seats will be visible and will intrude in a 'clean' boot space
2: the boot floor is not carpeted so it would be a bit unsightly.

However, I did think a neatly cut piece or 2 pieces of 18mm MDF would provide a good enough shelf and would allow the space underneath to the used for storage.

I'm tempted to try it as I dont need the 6th & 7th seat but I couldn't leave them out as I'd need somewhere to store the seats and the garage is full enough as it is.

Might give it a try after all the other issues have died down.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, sorry to revive a very old thread, but I can't seem to find anywhere on this forum (or on the internet generally) anyone who describes removing the third row seats, which surprises me as I assumed quite a few people would have wanted to reclaim the lost space occasionally. Has anyone tried the above method, or have any other experience of removing the third row?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi, sorry to revive a very old thread, but I can't seem to find anywhere on this forum (or on the internet generally) anyone who describes removing the third row seats, which surprises me as I assumed quite a few people would have wanted to reclaim the lost space occasionally. Has anyone tried the above method, or have any other experience of removing the third row?
Bit late for an answer now I know but having just joined the forum this is my first chance to reply. In case anyone does want to remove the rear row of seats . I have a 2020 x-trail. With no need for third row of seats. I asked the dealer if they could be removed and he didn't have a clue , he passed me to the service manager who thought it might be possible but had never removed them .
I decided to attempt It and it turned out to be a simple job to remove them . Just remove the plastic covers that cover the front 2 seat retaining bolts, remove the bolts and remove the bolts from the rear brackets situated in the boot and the third row of seats are free. They are damned heavy though so you might want to get someone else to assist in lifting them out.
with them out you will have an ugly boot floor with no cover , I carefully made a template of the floor shape to cover then cut out a piece of plywood to shape. I then covered it with car carpet sheet in Anthracite/Black Luxury Quality from an ebay seller. It looks a perfect match and it would be difficult to know it was not the original.
I did not remove the seat belts as they are not a problem to me.
Now I have not told my insurance company of the modification ..... is it necessary ? and I have not yet had an mot test done so unsure if it would show up as a problem . If it does I will simply refit the seats whenever it is mot time.
As I said the seats are blasted heavy ******* in the metal frame, so I reckon without them surely it must be saving me some fuel over the year.
Hope this helps some one.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thanks for this! We have a 7 seater but no real need most of the time. Puppy on the way so we'll need more space when he grows. I was planning to shape something from polystyrene or something to make a new floor. Would be interested if you have any pics.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The red ticks show the bolts that you have to remove to take out the rear row of seats ,The floor I cut from an old piece of plywood then covered it with car carpeting from ebay just stapled it on from the underside . I normally have the dog crate in there so you don't usually see the floor but when the dog crate comes out it looks not bad as the material is very close to the original carpet colour.
I would imagine there are other materials you could use instead of ply .

1 - 10 of 10 Posts