Nissan X-Trail Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when starting from cold with just one turn of ignition and it starts ok tick over just under 1000revs. If it does not start first time then on second turn of key and if it starts which it usually does but it revs tick over is just under 2000 and will not come down/ Any ideas as to why

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Milton
I have never left it revving and driven off to find out what length of time that might be. I turn it off wait a very short while then try again. sometimes whilst it's revv
ing I can get my foot behind the accelerator and feel like I'm forcing it back but not sure if this is just coincidence or if the revs are coming down normally.

Watty

·
Registered
12 Posts
Mine was a bit like that last year, instead of trying to start twice I'd turn the key 2 notches? so glow plugs would go on, pumped the accelerator a few times, turn ignition key back 0 then you hear that click, turn glow plugs on again - then it would start ok. The high revs and starting problem went after I replaced alternator belt. Though it's not yet cold enough to see of I need to do that starting trick this year. Dunno if that's at all related, I dont understand how the mechanics / electrics interlink but thats my experience.
T30lady

·
Registered
3,957 Posts
Hi Watty

As a first thing I would clean the throttle position sensor. Remove the accelerator pedal assembly from the car and spray the tps (black box attached the pedal) with electrical contact cleaner. Work the pedal a few times so the cleaner can wipe the contacts inside. You can unscrew the case, but if you do make sure you mark both sides so when you put it back together it aligns correctly.

Once you have reinstalled the tps in the car do a fuel pump relearn. The procedure for this is in the " how to" section on this forum.

Let us know how you get on.

Best regards
Milton :biggrin:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts