Nissan X-Trail Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

2005 2.2dci 136 bhp 105000 miles

Read lots of info on here, but just wanted to be sure I understand and have all the parts and info before I start the job!

Had a small oil leak around timing chain cover area which I seemed to cure for a while by nipping up the bolts I could get to, but alas the problem returned a few months later. Looks like the awful job of removing and resealing is necessary, especially now I'm ready for an oil change. Few questions:-

What gaskets will I need? I think I'm right saying the timing cover is a blue hylomar sealant job but ive seen you need to remove the sump to get at a couple of hidden bolts and undo an engine mount with engine on a jack?

Does the sump have a traditional fibre gasket or is that a hylomar sealant job too?

Have I imagined it or have I seen a thicker/better more volume sump is available?

Should I replace the bolts on the sump with new ones as Ive seen a pack with the bolts and hylomar complete online

Does anyone have a "how to guide" showing the engine mount, torque settings etc?

Would you recommend replacing anything else while doing this job?

What would be the best possible brand/model sealant I can get to be sure I have the best change of a seal?

Thanks for your time and input

Pete

·
Registered
467 Posts
hi pete, oil leak tricky that bottom cover beacause of the oil pump pick up pipe you cant compleatly remove it without dropping the metal pan sump and then the cast part you mentiond ie engine mount off etc i used a liquid casket the ones you get in a pressured can easy to apply and with flow controll i got a nice bead through, it is possible to get enough clearance to smear some in with your fingers maybe?

·
Registered
467 Posts
pete-H said:
hi pete, oil leak tricky that bottom cover beacause of the oil pump pick up pipe you cant compleatly remove it without dropping the metal pan sump and then the cast part you mentiond ie engine mount off etc i used a liquid casket the ones you get in a pressured can easy to apply and with flow controll i got a nice bead through, it is possible to get enough clearance to smear some in with your fingers maybe?
P.S in order to get that little bit more room you have to remove the oil pump spacer tricky but possible and even then still only just enough clearance to seal back up, the pickup pipe cannot be removed from the pump and even with the filter removed still doesnt have the space to get free.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts