Nissan X-Trail Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Any advice out there would be much appreciated. Here's the sitchu.

Got a 2004 2.2 Dci up on 122 000miles.
The engine suddenly quit on a roundabout and is in now parked up until the weekend is over or until I decide
where to get it towed to.

There was a short whirring sound before it died and I did not notice any warning lights coming on as I was a tad pre-occupied in
getting the car off the road and not getting rear-ended.
The engine will not fire up and there is a noise when I crank it over..not too loud but something is wrong and I think it could be the
timing-chain tensioner.Pretty sure the noise is coming from underneath that cover. I have removed the drive belts and checked out all the pulleys ,alt, compressor, water pump, tensioner... they all seem fine...smooth when spun.
I did notice a tiny drop of coolant on the underside of the compressor, right by the gasket.
Two days ago I tensioned up a squeaking belt and cleaned the air filter and the cabin air con filter( a mouse had made a nest in it and chomped a hole in it too....been like that for at least a year I think)
I wonder if this recent tinkering is related to the event? any ideas?

oh..The cam shaft IS turning when I crank it.

Thank you.

·
Registered
524 Posts
You could always take the top timing chain cover off to investigate ,it's not that bad a job even if a bit tight to get at some of the small cover bolts

1 - 2 of 2 Posts