Nissan X-Trail Forum banner

Total novice trying to get her head around tuning.....

4K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  edk_n16 
#1 ·
I am a total novice and only picked up our new X-Trail yesterday (here's my intro thread: http://www.x-trail-uk.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=1629) and have been intrigued to see tuning boxes (sorry if my terminology is wrong!) like this one: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Diesel-Perfor...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item1c0c8c0f68

I've got a 2004 2.2 dci SVE diesel with (I think 136bhp) and more power and better fuel consumption sounds like it would be great (we don't tow - combination of London driving plus road trips and camping in France). But, I have some questions which may be a bit basic.....

- do they work? Are you all noticing a difference with yours?
- does more expensive = better? There seem to be some around the £90 mark on Ebay and then some getting more pricey, but I can't see the difference between them so not sure which to go for :-?
- are they easy for a total idiot (me :mrgreen: ) to fit?
- are they easy to remove if you want to?
- do you have to tell your insurance company about them and do they affect your insurance?

Sorry for all the questions :roll: :lol: I'd really appreciate your knowledge - many thanks!

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi, i have a 2.2 DI and they are a Bit*h to use a tuning box on, and are very expensive to chip the ECU, if at all possible!

I have tried 2 different tuning boxes from £90 to £120, they work by changing the delivery pressure of the fuel to the injectors, basically pushing more fuel through.
On both these boxes, after a short while my engine went to limp mode, even when adjusting the boxes as directed by the maker, both these boxes were returned for refund.

My latest Box is much more expensive @£320, but works on a mapped program which opens the injectors for a tad longer, in the power range you require (talk to tuner).
At the moment i am trialing this, and am towing my van next week, so will give an all round verdict when i get back

#3 ·
Hi, as promised, an update on my Chip Box, unlike all the 3 others i have had from various sources, this box works, and has not yet put my car into limp mode. The box has been on for over a month and in all sorts of weather!.
I use the X trail for towing and my OH uses it for work daily.
click here
Unlike other boxes, it doesn't up the fuel pressure, which leads to "Limp mode", it remaps where, when and for how long the injectors stay open for.
Andrew the MD has helped in the tuning of mine and you can discuss your car with him

#4 ·
I've got a a spider tuning box fitted on to my 2.2 dci. Fitting was simple, pull apart the connector to the injector rail and fit the box in between the separated parts. Takes less than a minute. Fuel consumption is about the same, but what I have noticed is the extra torque. Where I used to take a corner in 2nd gear i'm now using 3rd. Performance in 1st & 2nd isn't really any different, but I think thats because when the power comes in, i've run out of gearing. Once i hit 3rd gear, thats when it seems to pick up and go. I've had it in for about 10000 miles and not had any trouble with it.

#5 ·
I've had a DPT (Diesel Power Tuning) tuning box of my DCi before and found the drive to smooth out considerably. It took to 148bhp (tested on a rolling road). Est. to 165bhp but you have to take those estimated figures with a fistful of salt. It's about the power delivery that's important not peak figures anyway. I found the DPT to be an excellent device and gave me 5-6mpg more on average.

Anyone one I havnt actually used myself but can recommend is the DTE by DTUK. It's slightly more advanced and is controllable by the user. This connects to each injector as opposed to just the fuel rail like the DPT. Some versions connect to the boost sensor too and becomes as close to remap as you can get while still having the ability to remove the device if you wanted. I've seen it in use on a 2.5 DCi Navara which took it from 171hp to 219hp, with big MPG improvements too. They also allow you to trail fit the box first :) (EDIT: I just found this thread where someone has fitted one but on the lower power version - viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1475).

Both these boxes are very easy to fit yourself :). You would need to tell your insurance company to stay legal. Do be wary of the cheap items on ebay which tend to just be a simple box of resistors that simply up your fuel pressure with little regard to reliability and economy. You get what you pay for at the end of the day and a decent tuning box costing £350 will pay for itself in fuel savings easily.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.