Nissan X-Trail Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Eventually took the plunge and bought the Tow-trust TN4 flange towbar. Got a good deal from Towbars direct for £126.50, with ball and basic electrics. inc free next day delivery. I had a Towtrust one for my T30 so knew that they were good quality.
I wasn't dissapointed with this one. Good finish in black enamel, strong steel. All holes fitted and lined up perfectly. About 2 hours from start to finish. Haven't done the electrics yet though.
I even managed to get the inner mudguards fitted back correctly, I think! Had to finish in the dark, not recommened.
I will try and put some photos on when I know how.
Looks tidy, cant see the cut in the bumper as it is covered by the ball and plate.
I wasn't sure whether to get a Thule one that didn't need a cut, but the chap on the phone said that they look more cumbersome because they have to go down under the bumper and back up to the proper height.
I was going to get the vehicle specific loom but he advised me it wasn't needed as it wasn't a straight plug in job done, and for £100 wasn't worth it.
How hard is it to get that rear ali plate of the boot threshold. That looks like it could be damaged easily. As do the side panels that need taking off to get to the electrics.
Any tips gratefully received.
Cheers
Mark
Mark

·
Registered
53 Posts
markymark said:
Eventually took the plunge and bought the Tow-trust TN4 flange towbar. Got a good deal from Towbars direct for £126.50, with ball and basic electrics. inc free next day delivery. I had a Towtrust one for my T30 so knew that they were good quality.
I wasn't dissapointed with this one. Good finish in black enamel, strong steel. All holes fitted and lined up perfectly. About 2 hours from start to finish. Haven't done the electrics yet though.
I even managed to get the inner mudguards fitted back correctly, I think! Had to finish in the dark, not recommened.
Looks tidy, cant see the cut in the bumper as it is covered by the ball and plate.
I wasn't sure whether to get a Thule one that didn't need a cut, but the chap on the phone said that they look more cumbersome because they have to go down under the bumper and back up to the proper height.
I was going to get the vehicle specific loom but he advised me it wasn't needed as it wasn't a straight plug in job done, and for £100 wasn't worth it.
How hard is it to get that rear ali plate of the boot threshold. That looks like it could be damaged easily. As do the side panels that need taking off to get to the electrics.
Cheers
Mark
Mark
Hi mate, to post pics, upload them onto a free site like photobucket and then you'll see a link for each picture that begins something like blahblahblahblah.jpg

Just cut and paste this into the reply section and preview. you'll be able to see your pics.

I'd be grateful if you could post as i'm after a towbar myself. cheers

·
Registered
19 Posts
Well don't get a Nissan one! My local Nissan dealer fitted mine and off I went to hook up to my caravan and guess what none of the lights worked. Took it back and was told they couldn't test it as they didn't have a 13 pin test board, and if they bought one it would mean they made no profit on my job!! Can you believe that? After some persuasion they did buy one and put it right. I'm not visiting that dealer again.

·
Administrator
2,758 Posts
markymark said:
Cheers
Mark
Mark
Hi Mark, yes you'll have some fun removing the trim as for the wiring there's a multi plug behind the trim N/S rear luggage bay and it's brown in colour this for when you use the vehicle specific kit so tap into these wires and the cable from your tow bar is fed through the N/S rear wheel arch through the rubber grommet.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.