Nissan X-Trail Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'am about to take delivery of a new style T31 Tekna.I need a tow bar fitting but i have been told by my normal fitters at Towsure that they don't do a bar for this model yet.I've tried a couple of the local fitters with the same result.Can anyone make any suggestions as i don't want to pay the nissan's massive prices.Cheers Smithy

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Had a ring round.
Has anyone any experience of Westfalia towbars as they seem to be the best priced around my area.cheers Tony

·
Registered
84 Posts
Stephen's right.

Witter have manufactured tow bars for the T31 for over a year now. Good make too!

Sorry, don't know anything about Westfalia, but I assume they must meet the same standards as the other manufacturers.

Xacre

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am a newbie and also new to the forum concept so please forgive any protocol lapses!!!

I would be grateful for any advice re towbar fitment. I have an 09 plate new xtrail and would like to know if fitting the Witter derivative towbar is within the scope of a competent DIY er. I understand that previous models required the rear bumber to be cut - is this the case for the new model with a Witter bar. Thanks for any help

·
Registered
93 Posts
The Witter bar needs a cut. I had mine fitted but you can download fitting instructions from the witter web site to help you judge whether you want to fit one yourself. I think that Westfalia has a bar that does not require a cut and again I think that you can find fitting instructions on the web.

·
Registered
17 Posts
smithy said:
I'am about to take delivery of a new style T31 Tekna.I need a tow bar fitting but i have been told by my normal fitters at Towsure that they don't do a bar for this model yet.I've tried a couple of the local fitters with the same result.Can anyone make any suggestions as i don't want to pay the nissan's massive prices.Cheers Smithy
Hi
I have just arranged for a Towsure bar to be delivered for my 2008 T31. The part no you need is 152e and with the detachable option also quote TEC025.
Jack

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi everyone, i've arranged for the westfalia bar to be fitted later this month so i will let you know how it goes.The dealer say's that westfalia are the nissan suppliers for europe but i have no concrete evidence for this.
With regards to the bar from towsure i was informed by Towsure that the 09 T31 had different brackets to the 08 model and so would not fit, however again i've got to take their word for it.
Thanks for all your input Smithy.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi,
I have now fitted a Towsure tow bar to my T31.
All went to plan with no major difficulties.
As far as the electrics went I used a universal 7 way bypass relay for single electrics.
I found the auxiliary wires that provide a signal power supply for all the lighting behind the L/H/S rear upper panel. Unfortunately there is no permanent live at the rear of the vehicle to power the relay. I thought the auxiliary power socket socket might do but this is a 10amp supply and only live on the ignition.
I needed to know the easiest place to find a suitable supply as I didn't want to go directly to the battery and run the cable through the bulk head or under the car.
I had a chat with the local Nissan dealer to ask them where they pick up a permanent live supply. I was told with nissans dedicated loom they plug in to a socket in the front passenger foot well which is the one of the main power supplies.
Once I located this wire I cut back a small part of insulation and soldered a short spur to this supply.
The cable was then run back under the trims and connected to the relay.
I then connected a 15 Amp fuse from the spur to my cable and made good this connection.
Job done.
Jack
:)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi,
The Westfalia towbar has now been fitted and has survived a 2 week caravan tour of the south of England.
With the swan neck removed you can hardly tell any bracketry is fitted.Fitting the swan neck is the easiest i have ever seen.You simply insert the tapered part horizontally and release the small handle this is then locked in place with a key.
The fitter had no trouble with the electrics however the indicator bleeper is very quiet and will need to be changed.
Overall a very good product.(sorry this sounds like an advert but i am so far i am very impressed)
cheers Smithy

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Jack said:
Hi,
I have now fitted a Towsure tow bar to my T31.
All went to plan with no major difficulties.
As far as the electrics went I used a universal 7 way bypass relay for single electrics.
I found the auxiliary wires that provide a signal power supply for all the lighting behind the L/H/S rear upper panel. Unfortunately there is no permanent live at the rear of the vehicle to power the relay. I thought the auxiliary power socket socket might do but this is a 10amp supply and only live on the ignition.
I needed to know the easiest place to find a suitable supply as I didn't want to go directly to the battery and run the cable through the bulk head or under the car.
I had a chat with the local Nissan dealer to ask them where they pick up a permanent live supply. I was told with nissans dedicated loom they plug in to a socket in the front passenger foot well which is the one of the main power supplies.
Once I located this wire I cut back a small part of insulation and soldered a short spur to this supply.
The cable was then run back under the trims and connected to the relay.
I then connected a 15 Amp fuse from the spur to my cable and made good this connection.
Job done.
Jack
:)
Where exactly is this cable please?
I had a Witter towbar fitted and I am very pleased with it, but some weeks later I noticed that the cable that was run from a connection to the fusebox on the drivers side was only 1mm. I would like to run an independent supply relayed direct from the battery but I have not found a suitable route though the bulkhead. What you are saying might be a better bet for me.
The 1mm cable does work OK (ish) but I also need to charge a second caravan battery in the boot when on extended holidays without a hookup.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi Chris
Left hand side front passenger foot well, it's the large red cable.
Beware this cable is live all the time with the battery connected and must be fused as close to your connection as possible.
I have used this to supply power to the relay for twin electrics (fridge & charging system).
I also used the rear aux power supply (cig' socket) as the switching supply for same relay as this is only live when ignition is switched on.
Hope this helps
Jack

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Jack said:
Hi Chris
Left hand side front passenger foot well, it's the large red cable.
Beware this cable is live all the time with the battery connected and must be fused as close to your connection as possible.
I have used this to supply power to the relay for twin electrics (fridge & charging system).
I also used the rear aux power supply (cig' socket) as the switching supply for same relay as this is only live when ignition is switched on.
Hope this helps
Jack
Thanks
Chris

1 - 14 of 14 Posts