Nissan X-Trail Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I travel abroad quite a lot and get totally fed-up sticking on beam deflectors every time, peeling them off when I get back, cleaning the headlamps of sticky-stuff and buying a new set and going through it all again the next time.

THE SOLUTION :idea: :thumbs:



I bought a set of Headlamp Protectors and have stuck the beam deflectors to these. :thumbs:

I only have to do it once and the protectors are easy to put on and take off every time I go abroad. :mrgreen:

A nice and easy solution that saves me both money (having to buy new beam deflectors every time) and effort (the hassle of cleaning off the glue every time). :mrgreen: :thumbs:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,285 Posts
interesting, to save me surfing, where did you get them from (the protectors) and are they ok with xeon HID headlights?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Hi great idea! I have used them before but always unsure of the exact location for the beam deflectors. Any one got a picture? The instructions are always vague so its guesswork!

Help anyone?

Cheers Pete

09 173 Tekna
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
MalH47 said:
I bought universal beam deflectors, you use just the round portion and stick them over the lenses at approx 2 o'clock.
But you then have to peel them off when you get back and clean off the sticky residue.

Then you have to do it all over again when you go abroad next time.

This is such a pain........... :roll:

The universal stickies also cut out a lot of the light - hence I changed the bulbs for the brightest legal maximum.

Though, I must admit, I often don't use deflectors (have you *ever* seen a foreign car in the UK that uses them?) - as the regulations, as far as I can see, do not say you have to have deflectors, just that you must not dazzle oncoming drivers. I comply with this by putting the headlamp beam adjuster on maximum dip when driving abroad and have never been flashed for dazzle (though I do carry the headlamp protectors with deflectors attached - "just in case"). :thumbs:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
Good idea. I just use black electrical tape to blank off the portion of the lens that shines the dipped beam to the right. If the dipped beam isn't enough to give sufficient lighting I turn the front fogs on. Cheap and works.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
254 Posts
Have re-read these posts and am still a bit confused :confused:

As I uderstand it my T31 Tekna (2011) has Zenon headlights and from what I have gleaned from the intertweb 'stick-on' beam deflectors will not stick because of the heat generated by these lights?

It is also suggested that they are not strictly either necessary or a legal requirement? (I am going to France).

I don't think that I have an adjustment dial ether to alter the beams as they are automatic levelling?

So what have fellow members done who have driven abroad with the later Zenon headlamp models?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,285 Posts
JackDusty said:
Have re-read these posts and am still a bit confused :confused:

As I uderstand it my T31 Tekna (2011) has Zenon headlights and from what I have gleaned from the intertweb 'stick-on' beam deflectors will not stick because of the heat generated by these lights?

It is also suggested that they are not strictly either necessary or a legal requirement? (I am going to France).

I don't think that I have an adjustment dial ether to alter the beams as they are automatic levelling?

So what have fellow members done who have driven abroad with the later Zenon headlamp models?
I have an 08 T31 with Zenon (Xenon?) headlights. The beam is asymmetrical (not flat) so strictly speaking you do need beam deflectors. However they don't work very well as I experimented against my garage wall, so I stuck them on as good as I could get, more than anything to put off any questions from a gendarme. In practice, I did almost no driving at night. Putting deflectors on lens protectors is a good idea, but at a cost.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,285 Posts
John Willett said:
Interesting that I have never - EVER - seen a foreign car in the UK that has beam deflectors fitted to change their LHD beam for OUR roads!
I believe that this is because their lights dip flat, not asymmetrical, or so I've read.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
254 Posts
chrisuk said:
Protectors are not as expensive as I thought

http://www.autostylinguk.co.uk/products ... Mk3-(07-10)/SC4X4/PG/GCNIXT3L/PC2H170NIXT3L/PRvehicle/FB/FP.html

T31 07 - 10
Thanks for this, the link is broken but I looked at their site and they are listed as suitable for Mk3 mine is a 2011 which they say is a Mk4 (news to me?) so don't know if they will fit, have sent them an enquiry.

Graham.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,285 Posts
JackDusty said:
John Willett said:
chrisuk said:
Protectors are not as expensive as I thought

http://www.autostylinguk.co.uk/products ... Mk3-(07-10)/SC4X4/PG/GCNIXT3L/PC2H170NIXT3L/PRvehicle/FB/FP.html

T31 07 - 10
Were you trying to link to THIS?
Yes that's what I ended up at, do you know the difference between a Mk3 & Mk4 please?

Graham.
My 08 XT t31, has a round extension to the headlights in the inner edge, the latest / current XT has this extension on the lower edge going slightly into the bumper from memory. I guess mine is a Mk3 and the later is a Mk4.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
254 Posts
chrisuk said:
JackDusty said:
John Willett said:
chrisuk said:
Protectors are not as expensive as I thought

http://www.autostylinguk.co.uk/products ... Mk3-(07-10)/SC4X4/PG/GCNIXT3L/PC2H170NIXT3L/PRvehicle/FB/FP.html

T31 07 - 10
Were you trying to link to THIS?
Yes that's what I ended up at, do you know the difference between a Mk3 & Mk4 please?

Graham.
My 08 XT t31, has a round extension to the headlights in the inner edge, the latest / current XT has this extension on the lower edge going slightly into the bumper from memory. I guess mine is a Mk3 and the later is a Mk4.
Thanks guys, the website has come back to me confirming these protectors will not fit my year.

Will try again:

Anyone with the latest Model been abroad and found a suitable method of beam deflecting please?

Graham.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I think that the law just says that you must not dazzle - so, very often, I drive without the beam benders (although I do have them in the car) and put the headlights on maximum dip.

This keeps them bright for me to see, but the extra dip stops them dazzling other drivers.

But mine is a 2009 model where I can adjust the angle of dip.
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top