Nissan X-Trail Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

It's Official.

Australia will finally be getting the all new diesel T31 exy!!

* Source: Nissan Australia Website

SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMENT: NISSAN TO EXPAND X-TRAIL LINE-UP WITH NEW DIESEL ENGINES

Nissan will bring its first turbo diesel versions of the popular X-TRAIL to Australia with sales commencing from July 2008.

Two turbo diesel engines will be offered, a refined base engine producing 110KW (320Nm) and matched to a new 6-speed automatic, while the high-performance 127KW (360Nm) diesel is matched to a six-speed manual transmission.

Apart from offering impressive performance, the sophisticated new engine is remarkably fuel efficient with combined fuel consumption figures of 7.4L/100km for the manual and 8.1L/100km for the automatic. The basis for both diesels is a common rail direct injection turbocharged 2.0-litre, 16 valve four cylinder unit.

The new diesel X-TRAIL will be available in two new specification grades, with the new entry-level designated 'TS' - based on the ST-L petrol X-TRAIL and the premium version designated 'TL' - based on the Ti petrol X-TRAIL.

The TS is packed with features including a full compliment of safety features including front, side and curtain airbags, stability control (ESP), ABS brakes, seat belt pre-tensioners and Nissan's intelligent ALL MODE 4x4-i system, which incorporates Uphill Start Support (USS) and Downhill Drive Support (DDS).

Other standard features include 17-inch alloy wheels, power windows and mirrors, air conditioning, cruise control, a six-stack CD player, front fog lights and chrome door handles.

The top of the range diesel TL model adds power operated heated leather seats, climate control air-conditioning and a panoramic sunroof.

Nissan's managing director and CEO, Dan Thompson, said the new diesel has all the attributes to enhance the reputation of the X-TRAIL as a class-leader in its segment.

"The new diesel engines offer impressive performance in both the manual and automatic configurations and reinforces the X-TRAIL's position as an extremely capable compact SUV" said Mr Thompson.

"The X-TRAIL diesel will be the first volume selling model in the compact SUV segment and we are pleased to be able to respond so quickly to such strong customer demand for this model."

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hi Guys,

Now that we're getting the diesel exy down-under, I was wondering if it will potentially have the same turbo diesel problems and failures you guys have faced in Europe with the 2.2dCi engine where the intercooler was leaking oil and things like that?

The engine we're getting is the M1D 2.0LT, so am not sure if it this engine was also available in the previous T30 diesel models or if it is completely a new one.

Can you guys please shed some light on this as the aussie xtrailers are a bit nervous in this regard given the poor history (pre-2006) of the xtrail diesel.

P.S. I have read somewhere that UK Nissan has issued a recall back then for the leaking intercoolers but I couldn't find any official recall details about this, so if you do have a link to the recall, please shoot it across.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I understand the M1D 2.0LT is a Renault engine? With no relationship with the previous turbo eater.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Hi Jalal,

The older problems appear to be with the Turbo made by IHI in the series 1 and early series 2, the later series 2 used Garrett 1849V based models. The intercooler also has problems with the compression joints and general build quality. After market models could be fitted with the boost sensor being relocated to the outlet pipe. There is some more info on the diesel intercooler thread on the forum.
The new T31 diesel engine is a joint venture by Nissan and Renault and fitted to Lagunas, and Meganes as well as others, Some info here http://www.ae-plus.com/OEM%20News/News-294.htm .
I think the new engine is a completely different design and certainly looks different at the dealers to my T30, so hopefully the improvements have been put in place and should be safe from the leaking oil and failing turbos.

Jamie

1 - 4 of 4 Posts