Nissan X-Trail Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Possibly, due to the known flaw in these turbos. Bearing wear can cause the whistle and result in turbo failure in time.

If you can take the inlet pipe off the turbo and with your fingers carefully check the turbo wheel for play. Wiggle the 'axle' seen in the pic below. If it moves more than a mm in any direction then a replacement turbo would be prudent. Sorry if some of that you knew already! :smile:

If you do want to go for a replacement turbo can I recommend a hybrid 727477 unit from Turbo Technics. Hopefully everything is fine for you though :). PM me if you'd like details on the turbo. I've recently bought one myself and it's an excellent unit and will be much stronger than the standard Garrett item.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Mine's an 07 and from day one it's made a whine. I was worried because the last Primera 2.2 DCI the turbo went after 15k. The last service at Nissam Wakefield I told them again that I was concerned about the turbo noise, and it was nearing out of wrranry time, told me not to worry it's not too bad and they're under warranty for 5 years / 93k.
Still causing a bit of concern but in three years it has not got much worse.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Dieseldog said:
Hi friends,
My T30's turbo has just started to whistle.
Tap the throttle and hear the whistle as the turbo speeds up.
Should I be worried?

Thanks
Basically, yes. Your turbo is on the way out.

With careful driving you may get plenty more miles out of it before a replacement is absolutely nessecary.

However, start saving.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.