Nissan X-Trail Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

My 2004 2.2 cdi killed itself. The turbo ran away and blew up the radiator.

the engine still starts eventually but not very well.

I have 4 questions and would be very appreciated of any advice anyone can offer please?

1) Should I buy and fit a new engine, turbo and radiator?

2) should I try and repair/replace parts on the existing engine?

3) Should I buy another one I have £2400?

4) Has anyone every seen or know of a 2.5l
6 speed manual xtrail for sale. Apparently the made some between 2007 and 2010?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
08' T31 Adventurer 2.0dci
749 Posts
Well you have had a runaway engine which means it has run well over normal operating revs for a diesel and put god knows what strain on connecting rods-crank -pistons -bearings-injector pump ect .I personally would find a donor engine .

·
Registered
81 Posts
Wonder what caused that to happen, it’s an interesting event from a mechanical point of view. I understand why it happens, but what was the first domino to fall in the chain of events leading to the runaway? A blockage or leak somewhere? It’s impressive.

Anyway, I just recently received a rebuilt 2.2 DCi, YD22DDTi from Tornau Motoren in Germany.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wonder what caused that to happen, it’s an interesting event from a mechanical point of view. I understand why it happens, but what was the first domino to fall in the chain of events leading to the runaway? A blockage or leak somewhere? It’s impressive.

Anyway, I just recently received a rebuilt 2.2 DCi, YD22DDTi from Tornau Motoren in Germany.
Someone I know who claims to know about turdo diesels reckon the oil seals in the turbo where likely to have gone causing the turbo burn on the oil.

·
Registered
08' T31 Adventurer 2.0dci
749 Posts
When my mate ran his JCB doing any street works for the gas board, their engines had a device fitted so they could switch the dam thing off if a pipe leaked gas and it gas entered into air filter as engine would keep running otherwise and probably kill itself .Best bet is to try and stall it or chuck a great lump of rag into air filter inlet .

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
When my mate ran his JCB doing any street works for the gas board, their engines had a device fitted so they could switch the dam thing off if a pipe leaked gas and it gas entered into air filter as engine would keep running otherwise and probably kill itself .Best bet is to try and stall it or chuck a great lump of rag into air filter inlet .
Bit late for that now, don't plan on it happeni g again.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts