Nissan X-Trail Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I start the car and drive off I get what sounds like a loud twanging spring noise. I've checked all surgical aids and it's definately not coming from me - sounds like it's coming from the back of the car? Can't work it out and don't know if it's the handbrake cable releasing although the handbrake is always fully released before I drive off, obviously. If anyone has any ideas that would be good as I cannot work out what's causing it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Could be the brake pads coming off as the car gets underway. Mine does this if I leave it for a day or two. The calipers jam the pads onto the disc even when the handbrake is taken off. The rust on the discs then grates on the pads as it is removed by the friction, making the twanging noise. All 3 Xtrails I have had did this, and my wife's.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hadn't thought of the discs - because it sounded like a spring I assumed a cable. Thanks for the info - I remember my other car manual said to apply the handbrake very lightly at low speed to clean the discs - I never had the courage to try it though. I'll check the pads but as long as I know where the noise is coming from I can stop worrying that somethings going to fly off the car (well apart from the pads that is!) Thanks for the reply to the post.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dear Yottie60. Have had a strange experience now - am wondering if the noise is in fact coming from the rear end - today sounded more like the front?! Degfinately sounds twanging though - do you think it could be the handbrake cable that's making the noise? Will get someone else to drive it off sl;owly and hear where it is actually coming from.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry - it's me again. Did a test today and the noise is definately coming from the back - think you're right about the brakes as it seems to be around that area - hard to tell though. Will give the pads/discs a good clean up and hopefully things will improve. Thanks again for your help.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.