Nissan X-Trail Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just had to replace my front tyres, to say I am upset is the understatement of the year! There was a good 4-5 mm still left across the tyre above the 'replace me' mark. The edges are the problem - they are like tissue paper. I always have the correct pressure in them, so I took it in to Westway at Stockport and the mechanic said it could be a suspension problem. I'm working in Eastbourne at the moment so took it in to the dealer down here for them to have a look. I took a tyre in to show them and the mechanic said something is not right there. Today I get a call saying the car is ready to pick up - there is nothing wrong with it and that will be 59 pounds please for the investigation works carried out, that on top of the 300 for the new tyres - I am not a happy bunny.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, to be honest the thought crossed my mind, I bought a digital one from Halfords by Michelin (I think) and its useless, the old fasioned one I use is about 10 years old! Do you recommend one?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Hi Crazyhazy

Your 10 year old might be the most accurate.

Mine is the s/steel pencil type gauge which has proven to be accurate over a long period of time (approx 15 years)

I have found the odd digital to be accurate when new but not consistently. I'd avoid any with a gauge or digital personally.

The true test is whether the tyre wears correctly. If it wears in the centre the tyre is over pressurised. if it wears at the edges it is under pressure.

This could be due to the tyre pressure gauge innaccuracy or the manufacturers reccommended pressures

I did own a Citroen which only stated one set of pressures. Unladen the tyres wore (is that the right spelling?) in the centre so i dropped 3 psi but upped it by an extra 3 wnen laden. It seemed to be a good compromise with the tyre wearing evenly.

Xacre

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm going to take it to a garage tomorrow and get them to check the pressure and see how the pencil pressure gauge fares against their reading.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Yes still the same in dry and wet, mine is a 2.5 16v so the dci is also heaver than mine on the front axel. I now have Bidgestone's all round. Even with the Dunlops on they looked a little flat when at the recommed settings,and they had all the wear on the outer of the tyre the center had 5mm plus ..Just try increasing the pressure till you are happy i got this info from a tyre fitter he said the most commom cause for this is the walls of the tyres are too soft and do not support the weight of the car.hope this is of help regards.mark

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I spoke to a mate who has just left Nissan, he told me the same about tyres, about the edge having less depth than the middle! I'm going to try a bit more pressure in mine, going to go for 32 psi or would you recommend more? And see how it goes! Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Thats ok with the cost of new tyres you want them to last as long as poss.But the dunlops are very poor in the wet compaired to the bridgestones ...

·
Registered
115 Posts
I loved my conti's very very quiet and good grip too.....now have bridges's all round and so far so good done about 10k on them and thought they very getting noisy especially one at front right..whoops wrong...let it go abit....whooops..even more whoops, well turned out to be the front left wheal bearing ! £236 later the tyres seem quiet again although never as quiet as the conti's.....

Rob

·
Registered
115 Posts
not too sure actually, think they were all terain with road bias, will look through older pics and see if i can see a name.

Rob

1 - 14 of 14 Posts