Nissan X-Trail Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Back again for yet more info on this very good forum.

I read on a previous post about mud tyres not being available for the wheels on a T30 X Trail and that really threw me as i had intended to buy these in the future. :frown:

Is it to say then that only straight road tyres are available for this model?

What about semi off road tyres?

What are all you guys doing when you go off road ?

Thanks in anticipation.

The Engineer

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hi again,

I should have looked closer at some of the other posts. I seem to have found the answer - General Grabber AT2 tyres seem to be a solution.

Anyone actually used them off road yet?

My thanks to previous posters on this subject.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Having done some off roading in my Yota LC and VX Frontera, I am not too sure about off roading in an x trail.

There is very little ground clearance and the position of the rear exhaust silencer makes me think that would be prone to getting ripped right off!!!

I think the X might be great over mud but rocky hill climbs and axle twisters especially with no low gearing .... hmmm I'm not sure.

Ive crossed the Wayfarer in N Wales in my LC and crossed the swollen river Dee in it too, I dont think I would chance it in my X

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Dave,

Many thanks for your considered reply and of course you are right the X Trail does have its limitations but the kind of off roading I will be doing will be more muddy tracks rather than heavily rutted ones.

My mate reckons the Freelander 1 has more clearance and is better off road, but I,m not sure that he's right. What do you think?

A true off road vehicle is not really on as it is my wifes car when not collecting wood for the wood burning stove. She doesn't relish riding around in a Defender with no air bag!!

The Engineer

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've been using Yokahama Geolander A-T/S tyres for the last 7 months- about 10.000 miles. They've been fab of road ( Including towing 1/2 tone trailer through a foot of combined sodden horse dung, wet straw and sloppy mud.!) They are also suprisingly good on road.Not quite as grippy in the corners as the Michelin Synchrone on-road tyre I had before, but only by about 10% less ( Tends to run a bit wide on fast corners in comparison - but hardly suprising!) I paid £80 a corner, fitted balanced, VAT etc. Wear seems reasonable too.

Cheers

Mad Dog

·
Registered
120 Posts
Engineer said:
Hi again,

I should have looked closer at some of the other posts. I seem to have found the answer - General Grabber AT2 tyres seem to be a solution.

Anyone actually used them off road yet?

My thanks to previous posters on this subject.
Hi,

I got some Grabber AT2's fitted last week and so far very pleased with them both on road and off road, the field today was a bit muddy and rutted and the grass very slippy with the rain but the tires just gripped up the slope with no slip, didn't even bother putting the 4wd on auto. Took it up chalk pit lane the day I got them fitted and seemed to take the bumps better than the old tires.

Jamie

1 - 7 of 7 Posts