Nissan X-Trail Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I changed a front wheel bearing today and, in the process, discovered my inner tyre ws wrecked.

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread

Must be more than just tracking, surely? Pressure is fine.

·
Registered
90 Posts
That wear looks to be on the shoulder of the tyre so I would check the camber but also for anything that could be rubbing on the tyre at anywhere from lock to lock.
Is the track control arm OK, if the ball joint is worn as well as affecting the tracking it could affect the camber angle.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The driver's side is much worse than the passenger's, suggesting there's something amiss on that corner. No obvious play in either the track rod end joint or the bottom ball joint.
No signs of rubbing on anything in the wheel bay and driving slowly with the window down, lock to lock doesn't produce any noises.
It is very much on the shoulder though.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Checked the tracking with my Gunsons Trakrite.
Road surface Asphalt Motor vehicle Font Tar

Both sides showing too much toe out.

Look at the state of the thread on the track rods.
Wood Twig Trunk Brick Composite material

Might buy the inner and outer rods. Anyone changed the inner before and have any advice?

·
Registered
2002 Nissan X-Trail T30, 2.0 SE+
38 Posts
Checked the tracking with my Gunsons Trakrite.
View attachment 36186
Both sides showing too much toe out.

Look at the state of the thread on the track rods.
View attachment 36187

Might buy the inner and outer rods. Anyone changed the inner before and have any advice?
Get the blow torch, mole grips, angle grinder, wd40 and spanners out.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Be very careful with Autodoc when you order - ensure you receive exactly what you ordered and not a replacement!!! They seem to be pushing STARK parts which are made for them in Germany and these aren't necessarily decent. I recently ordered new EGR for my T31 facelift. I ordered Magneti Marelli as I knew it was good but a Stark part arrived - sadly fitted before I knew (another story) but when questioned they suggest STARK is more expensive and better but it isn't!!!! SO check when item arrives and immediately repsond to them you want original part you ordered ASAP. Yet to see if this EGR works properly!!

·
Registered
399 Posts
I changed a front wheel bearing today and, in the process, discovered my inner tyre ws wrecked.

That looks like tyre has been running on a very low pressure and tracking is well out. While track rods might be ok check subframe bushes............mine was 4 wheel aligned but still pulled sideways when accelerating - it ended up being a collapsed bush on sub-frame moving which could do this. My tyres have been on for 22k with no real wear - still have around 5mm all over. I run my tyres 225/55 18 Quadtrac at 33 front and 31 rear. To get pressure right try this, which a chap told me about when sorting my campers pressures. Out on road rub a piece of chalk across whole tyre right over edges aswell. Now drive down the road for a mile or so and look at where chalk is left. If some in middle still tyres to low. If chalk only on edges to high pressure. You should see chalk missing apart from just over the edges

View attachment 36182
Must be more than just tracking, surely? Pressure is fine.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for your replies. The pressure was 32psi , but increased it to 36 when saw the tyre. I have tried a similar thing with masking tape across the tread to check wear in the past.

I've had issues with autodoc before. They once sent me the wrong coil spring!

I'll check those bushes for obvious wear.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts