Nissan X-Trail Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Winter time,, so upgraded my headlight bulbs with OSRAM nightbreaker,, what a big imprevement, much whiter light output as well,,Not bad for £11.50 a pair from ebay...

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Question for you Cliffy - I've got Xenons on my Aventura which come on with full beam when I flash (the lights) I thought it was only main beam that was meant to flash as HID need to "warm up". I know the life of HID is meant to be good but flashing a bulb of any kind must shorten its life? If the HID and main beam both come on together when flash/full beaming then why don't they fit bi xenon bulbs as this would be even better. Have got Night Breakers as full beam and they're good but will be changing for Phillips Xtreme as think these just pip them for distance throw of light - just as white though so match HID pretty well.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Whats the legality of upgrading to xenon lights i hear that the headlamp unit must be a projector type and have washer jets and be self leveling does it actully matter? as long as you aim the lights down a bit? whats everyones experience?
Harry

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Harry. Can't understand the projector thing either as I've got factory fitted xenons but not projector lenses - they do have washers though. Guys who want to fit xenons all say the same thing - "law say's they had to have projectors and washers". :confused:

I've had a couple of cars with xenons before and both had projectors - I think that's why when you see them coming they seems to alternate beteween blue/white - it's the projector lens. I fitted Philips Extreme H4's on my wifes Rav4 and they give a very bright white light. They do have a pronounced cut off line on dipped beam though (which isn't that good) but full beam in amazing. I've got Philips H1 main beam on mine and you can hardly tell the difference btween these and the xenons - standard H1's were a definate yellow in comparison.

Vandy.

·
Registered
210 Posts
does your xtrail have separate dipped and main beam bulbs? i thought the xtrails all had h4 bulbs with both diped and main beam in the one bulb? i wonder if i could get away with xenons and just aim them down a little. has for the washers im sure i could just stick on a set (as in just the casing bit) to appear that i have washers incase of police poking around would that be something maybe that would fail an mot (i could just take them out for the mot?)
Another thing would be if my xtrail uses h4s and yours uses h1s is there a difference in light unit maybe yours is designed to cope with more heat (does the xenons produce more heat than the halogen type?)
Harry

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Harry.
X Trail "standard" headlamps are H4's (full and dipped beam combined) but the Xenon units have an Xenon bulb and a H1 bulb. Heat from the Xenon is less than from a standard bulb - hope that's right?
Re: washer jets, mmm, not so sure phoney ones is the answer really! Fitting jets is possible but you have to be brave and accurate as it means cutting into bumper and a bit of plumbing involved too - uses the same washer bottle and has seperate pump - possibly as larger bottle, not sure? Technically the washers need to be operated from the stalk control as well - semms like a lot of work to me but..........
Cliffy has done a conversion to Xenon lights - may be worth asking him how he did it?

Vandy

1 - 7 of 7 Posts