Nissan X-Trail Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had vacuum pump chain and guide replaced last year due to rattling chain, and its just started doing it again. Is there a better fix or is this just a bad design as I have heard. Gets expensive if you were doing this every year. Surely it should not start rattling after 9months?

·
Registered
Nissan X Trail Columbia 2.2 DCi 2006
847 Posts
I haven't done mine yet. Can be quite involved from what I've seen, but can apparently be done by just removing rocket cover and using a modified 10mm spanner. I'm sure someone will along soon to update this!

·
Registered
467 Posts
if you look theres a sensor attached to the chain cover this can be removed and if i remember corectly access to a bolt holding that which the chain rides uppon but if you removed the chain cover i expect you could leave that inplace, the guide stops the chain rasping on deceleration and if overtight eats the guide.

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
Yes, it's an awful design. I haven't seen another engine that does this! As has been said, you CAN adjust it, but you need to take the cam cover off and poke a (probably slightly ground-down) 10mm ring spanner down the gap to get the pinch bolt loose, then push the tensioner down to take up the slack. HOWEVER, as has also been said, once the plastic face of the tensioner pad has been eaten through, the rest of it wears very fast, so it'll only be a transient solution.

I think the trick, when installing anew chain and tensioner, is NOT to put any real tension on it when first installing. Just leave the tensioner "in contact with" the chain, but not actually applying any tension.

I did start getting the bits together to just bin that stupid bit of "bike chain" and use an electric vacuum pump instead, but have never got round to doing it because ours isn't too noisy at present and I have a variety of other problems to attend to on it!

·
Registered
467 Posts
with mine i removed the three bolts and made note of the sprockets location in situ, then removed the chain cover and pump as one, next the sprocket and placed on the bench for alignment then when happy offer the sprocket and pump into positon a bit fiddley but the sprocket can only go in one way and the pump end should move quite freely then replace the bolt holding the sprocket inplace through the hole replace plate 3 bolts etc, hope this helps 2 years later still ok but will probably inspect in the spring.

Attachments

·
Registered
467 Posts
if you look you see on one side a notch cut out of the sproket and a pin it matches the profile of the camshaft end it balts to you must lock the cranck to get it of/ on. picture abouve upside down but you get the plan.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello
Can someone please give me the codes or the reference number for the chain and guide tensioner for the vacuum pomp?
2.2 diesel 2006 136.
I have problemes to find a useful diagram of the pomp chain sistem .
Thank you verry much and excuse my english.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts