Nissan X-Trail Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hiya,

Im new here and have done a quick search and cant see this covered anywhere else.... but if it is, I apologise !
Both my OH and me have x-trails, mine a manual, his an auto. We stay 1½ mile up a farm road which since december has had snow a lot of the time. We have both noticed that after driving down the road in 4x4 lock thru the snow, when we get onto the main road the cars start to vibrate... as u increase speed... almost like wheels badly needing balanced... then after a while it disappears....any ideas?

Thanks(hopefully) in advance

·
Registered
241 Posts
I was told by dealer that you should only use the 4X4 diff lock to get out in bad conditions when no traction, but dont use it for to long and dont keep turning the wheel to much as the diff is locked and it can cause ware and over heat the diff, they also said you should never use it and drive over 20 mph so if you did do that at speed with the lock in that may cause the problem. I only use mine in auto mode and only lock the diff when realy stuck, then revert back to auto no probs. :thumbs:

·
Registered
32 Posts
I've only had my X-trail since November so I might be making an idiot of myself but according to the handbook it says not to use lock on hard surfaces/tarmac roads else it can damage the transmission. Are you switching off the lock as soon as the snow covered track ends? If not the vibration is probably the diffs trying to supply the same drive to all wheels when they need to move at different speeds. It should disengage automatically, and perhaps this is what happens to make it go away.

P.S. I can't believe it. This question has been waiting for a month. I start to reply but then have to take the dog out. By the time I submit someone has come up with a similar answer - strange coincidence!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi,

I have a 2005 X-trail SE that I drive madly in all kinds of snow, from -30 deg C to +5 deg C. The vibrations that you encounter are normal. The differences of temperatures between your wheels and the snow create ice that sticks to the inside of your wheels. It's a pain in ... to remove when moving to normal pavement but you have no choice. I carry a stick with a brush at the end to remove the excess, and that does it every time.

Enjoy the snow.

Andre

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.