Nissan X-Trail Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to the world of 4x4 and X-Trails so was wondering if anyone could help with the following?

If in the event of a localised flooding event (which is very common living around the River Trent in South Derbyshire) I know the X-Trail has a wading depth of 350mm what would be the outcome if I somehow managed to enter a depth greather than 35cm but less than 50cm?

Assuming no water enters the tail pipe would I come out the other end?

Thanks
Bambus

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Is the only air inlet the one just behind the grill at the top of the grill? This is fairly high up, but is there a sneaky lower inlet for say warm engine air when cold? I don't intend to do any wading but it would be nice to know.

·
Registered
120 Posts
The main airbox inlet is behind the nearside headlight, but you also have breathers for the gearbox and rear diff. The gearbox outlet is by the airbox and can be raised easy with extension tubes. The rear one is more hidden and is not very high up hence the recommended wading height. Oil and Water really don't mix well especially in a diff.
I think the Australian Forum has a bit more info on raising the breathers, the main airbox would ideally need a snorkel to wade deeper depths. I dont think there are any commercial ones available so a DIY or mod from another model would be the way to go.

·
Registered
115 Posts
X32garrick said:
You can do a search on our site as well for "SUV Safety School" which was a Nissan sponsored event wherein we put the X-trail thru a grueling obstacle course including a wading pool. Or try this link http://www.clubxph.multiply.com to see more pics and videos from said school :biggrin:
Hey love the videos, the camel humps were really cool, not so sure that I'd do it so quickly but i suppose thats the problem with the Xt - no low box.

On a diff note i did a ford crossing today about a foot or so deep with a loose bottom and a further drop of 6-10 inch in middle - glad i walked it first or that might of come as a shock, will try to link a video when i work out how...lol

Rob

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Robbo said:
X32garrick said:
You can do a search on our site as well for "SUV Safety School" which was a Nissan sponsored event wherein we put the X-trail thru a grueling obstacle course including a wading pool. Or try this link http://www.clubxph.multiply.com to see more pics and videos from said school :biggrin:
Hey love the videos, the camel humps were really cool, not so sure that I'd do it so quickly but i suppose thats the problem with the Xt - no low box.

On a diff note i did a ford crossing today about a foot or so deep with a loose bottom and a further drop of 6-10 inch in middle - glad i walked it first or that might of come as a shock, will try to link a video when i work out how...lol

Rob
Not suprised you had a loose bottom :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
385 Posts
Looking good! :thumbs: strut spacers eh ... how much lift did you end up with ... homemade or bought? Also what's the score with the Snorkel? Proper X-Trail one or a modified one? :biggrin:

·
Registered
255 Posts
50mm lift guaranteed as they are manufactured 50mm spacers and don't sag like springs under load or with age. This is the recommended maximum lift for the Xtrail to not put excessive stress on the CV joints. Still keeps the same ride feel of the original springs too.
Spacers are manufactured by an Australian company called Superior Engineering. You can google their website.

Snorkel is actually a manufactured one for a Terios. The shape and angle are about 95-99% correct and it is really the fitting template which needs modification. Other than that you just connect it up to the bottom of the standard airbox where the large resonator is and blank off the standard intake opening on the airbox and you have your snorkel fitted. Some modification to the internal metal fender is required to accomodate the airtube fitting but all snorkels require some mods to be done for fitting.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts