Nissan X-Trail Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all!!

I got my 2002 x-trail just last week. It's a 2litre petrol automatic.

Just wondering how I should use overdrive? It's always on. When I press the button it comes up on the dash that it's turned off.

I get the impression that I should leave it on all the time as the light looks like a warning light when I turn it off.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Hi Darragh
Thought I would send a quick response as no-one else has! I've got an auto and hardly ever turn the overdrive off (light shows on dash when its off) I sometimes switch it off when if overtaking and want a bit more oomph but not so much that I need to use kickdown (welly the loud pedal fast and hard and it will kick down to 2nd or at least the lowest gear its able to depending on speed) If you're going up/down a steep hill it can help to switch it off as it stops the gearbox hunting for a gear. As said, I always just leave it in overdrive and forget about it - great for lazy driving. The gearbox is 4 speed by the way.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay thanks for that.

I'll just leave it in overdrive all the time. Unfortunately I had to get the 2ltr petrol and not a diesel so I'm just frustrated about the slowness of it. I thought overdrive might of helped out or something.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Mines petrol too - got a 2.5 though so may have a bit more grunt - not sure? I chose a petrol as the auto diesels have a lower powered engine (or at least the newer ones do to keep the emisions down) If you don't mind using a bit more fuel just use the overdrive as a "3rd gear" - switch it off when going up a hill and you'll see the difference.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.