Nissan X-Trail Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2012 XTrail tekna I bought this last year but due to COVID it didn’t get used much until this year now it needs a new front drive shaft etc for Mot and I cannot find a lock nut key anywhere on the vehicle so I’m really stuck , is there any where I can get a key or is there another solution

·
Registered
548 Posts
I had the same kind of problem last year when I first got my T31 and on a T30 I owned.

Now I used a tight fitting socket out my toolbox on my locking bolts and hit it on with a hammer .Now its a bit hit and miss doing it this way as it needs to be tight enough to grip and turn bolt ,if it doesn't grip tight the casing just spins and a battle to get your socket off .I did all 4 of mine this way on my T31 and my old T30 when I broke the lock removal socket (Can't remember the socket size I used ....sorry) Only go down this route if you feel confident though .

.There are removal kits available over the web to remove them .I would say most tyre fitters would have a kit so a visit there might be good ,(.I have known them to use the standard socket method too) .Once they are off do away with the locking ones and stick normal bolts back in ,T30 bolts are the same thread -size for the T31 as I used 4 wheel bolts I had some spare in the shed from a T30.

Buy your new locking or standard bolts first before you or anyone else take old off (y)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks leafy,
I had taken the car into National tyres but when the locking key was missing they didn’t offer me an alternative ,I don’t really feel confidant enough to tackle your suggested method thanks anyway, and the Nissan dealer wasn’t very helpful after giving the car details he said they couldn’t find the code and didn’t stock any replacement locking nuts and if I took the car in for them to deal with I could be looking at a £500 bill inc £57.00 just to diagnose the problem
So I will search out someone with the ability and know how there’s always someone about .

Thanks again

·
Registered
407 Posts
My locking key was hidden under the sub-woofer in the spare tray - I nearly missed it but thankfully it's fine. If you've got the nice 18" wheels like me I'd suggest fitting a new locking nut as these are incredibly rare in good condition and I mean rare!!! One of mine has a very slight buckle according to two tyre fitters (separate places) and I've been looking for 2 years! New is around £500!!!!

·
Registered
41 Posts
I had the same problem with the T30 i bought in january. I don't use big garages and my local changed them for normal after removal. I think it was about £50 including new nuts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi latest up date , I went back to the dealership where I bought the car and he arranged for a chap he said could get the offending locking nuts out with an oxy acetylene torch and sure enough got the job done cost £20 and not a mark on the wheels so tomorrow get repairs done and get some new wheel locking nuts and remember to put the key somewhere safe

1 - 6 of 6 Posts