Nissan X-Trail Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With this bad weather I have been using the 4WD mode on the X Trail. I am wondering though... can I leave 4WD on all the time with this bad weather? I mean if I go on to a snow covered road I switch it on but when I leave the road and go on to a main road that has been gritted do I need to switch it off straigh away or can I just leave it on?
I guess what I am asking is, with the bad weather can i just leave it on 4wd for the newxt few weeks till the snow goes?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Just leave it in AUTO, It will do all the work you need it to do. Only switch to 4x4 lock in reallly bad circumstances where the auto mode wont shift you.
Never use 4x4lock on dry roads.

I have just been up a steep icy hill into a car park with about 4 inches of snow in auto mode and the car didnt even skid a bit.

·
Registered
51 Posts
This may seem like a dumb question but can I switch from 2wd or auto in lock whilst on the move? I haven't tried this, just curious if it can be done without doing any damage

Cheers
Martin

·
Registered
51 Posts
ok, so it sounds like I have been right in what I have been doing so far, i.e. stopping, selecting 'lock' & then ploughing throw the snow! :mrgreen:

Cheers!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So can I just leave it in 4WD all the time? Even in good weather? Is the only consequence of this increased fuel consumption?

·
Registered
60 Posts
I leave mine in 4x4AUTO all the time. Dont leave it in LOCK in any circumstances.

In 4x4AUTO, people say tyre wear and fuel consumption is increased, but to be hoenst if you buy a 4x4, you should expect that anyway.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.