Nissan X-Trail Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Talking to a mechanic at our local tyre/exhaust place, he told me this true story...

A plumber he knows got home one night last week, parked his Transit van on his drive and enjoyed an evening at home.

The next day he set off to work and noticed his exhaust was blowing like mad, something he had not noticed the night before.

Of he went to our local tyre/exhaust place and once they had hoisted his van up in the air it became apparent as to why his exhaust was blowing.

Some unscrupulous being, had in the night crawled under his van and cut his catalytic converter out using pipe cutters....

Apparently CATs are going for around £60 to £80 trade in at scrap metal merchants, that's about £100 a foot then.

Be warned there may be a CAT burglar near you!!!!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Does not suprise me at all. One of company clients is National Car Rental and they had their depot full of Transit vans done in the same way. That night they got away with approx 70 CATS from the 'secure' car park onsite. :shock:

·
Registered
283 Posts
Still an ongoing menace. A fellow I chat to whilst walking the dog had his navara ravaged the other week. Reckons he witnessed them return to the area more recently, posing as potential car buyers. Pulled up in a range rover and were smartly dressed but loitering suspiciously. He asked them what was their business and was told "your neighbour is selling his car, just been for a look". On asking said neighbour, no such meeting took place... watch out for the rangey drivers! dodgey [email protected]! Apparently a mechanic mate of his said SUVs and pickups are a 5 minute job because of the ground clearance giving the bandits easy access. :(

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
MarkV said:
Apparently CATs are going for around £60 to £80 trade in at scrap metal merchants, that's about £100 a foot then.

I bet 95% customers, who let their CAT replaced do not know that and leave the cat to the workshop. They will charge you for the replacement and get 50-100£ bonus from your cat.
I had my wife's Accord Cat replaced and asked the CAT back to my self and received 50€ from scrap yard.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
MarkV said:
Talking to a mechanic at our local tyre/exhaust place, he told me this true story...

A plumber he knows got home one night last week, parked his Transit van on his drive and enjoyed an evening at home.

The next day he set off to work and noticed his exhaust was blowing like mad, something he had not noticed the night before.

Of he went to our local tyre/exhaust place and once they had hoisted his van up in the air it became apparent as to why his exhaust was blowing.

Some unscrupulous being, had in the night crawled under his van and cut his catalytic converter out using pipe cutters....

"Hello MarkV",

HERE IS A COPY OF WHAT I POSTED ON THE FORUM IN JANUARY - UNDER `WHAT WAS SHE DOING UNDERNEATH MY XTRAIL`:

Here is a Link to that thread: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=7176

QUOTE:

"Hello All",

Tonight I saw on My CCTV someone get UNDERNEATH My Xtrail !

I had just posted a reply to Avocet - thanking Him for His replies to My questions on the Sticking Brake Caliper thread when I glanced at the CCTV - which I installed solely to be able to View the Xtrail - and I saw someone get underneath the Car !

Stupidly / in haste I shouted out of the Window for them to get out from under the Car - they shouted that they had `Dropped My bag under your Car` - and wriggled out from the Offside and walked quickly away - I am fairly sure that it was a very small oriental WOMAN / Teenager !

When I went out with a torch to look under the Car it looked like there is not much more than 7 or 8 inches between the Exhaust and Ground where SHE had to wriggle through to get away from the Offside of the Car !

Purely being `selfish` - because I have had Vandalism to the Xtrail previously this is probably a better outcome than Me getting hold of them / involving the Police - IF they don`t come back either to try and get what they wanted - Or to Vandalise the Xtrail because of some perverse `retaliation` for being `caught out` !

I really cannot believe My `Luck` since having the Xtrail regarding the amount of Damage caused by people hitting the Rear Bumper - previous Vandalism - unexpected Mechanical Repairs and now this - I will now be worried every Night that something will either be taken from under the Car - Or that it will be Vandalised !

Even with CCTV - they only have to `Hood Up` - as SHE was Tonight and You would never be able to Identify them - even on so called `Super Night Vision` CCTV.

IF this was someone looking to steal a Catalytic Converter - I have read recently that there are `Organised Gangs` doing this - without wanting to seem racist or melodramatic in any way - Oriental / Chinese / Japanese `Gangs` can be `Bad News` to have Targeting You or your Car / Home for ANY form of `retaliation` etc. !

It was ONLY because I had written the previous reply to Avocet that I saw this on CCTV - I was just about to go to a part of My Home where there is not a TV / Monitor for the CCTV - They would then have been able to take whatever they were looking for !

I have Posted this again on the Forum - to ask What is it `likely` that SHE was after ? - I thought that the Catalytic Converters on My Xtrail are within a Manifold and attached to the Engine end of the Exhaust - ?

SHE was wriggling under the back half of the Xtrail - it seemed to be around the rear axle area.

Regards,

Chris

END OF QUOTE

This was definitely someone looking to steal the Catalytic Convertor - But from a comment by Member creationracing they would probably have just caused enough damage to have made My Xtrail NEED New Exhaust sections / Catalytic Convertors - as getting these off the Xtrail is apparently NOT a job that can be done either quickly or easily [perhaps quickly if butchering the Exhaust !].

I am attaching a couple of CCTV Pictures of the incident - the person who I actually saw when SHE walked quickly away was a very thin `Oriental` young WOMAN ! - the Night was a misty one so the CCTV Night Vision is not good - which is why I did not bother attaching the Pictures to My previous Post.

I have wondered ever since whether I will go out to drive My Xtrail and find that the Exhaust is dragging on the Road - having been `Butchered` by that person or one of Her `partners in crime` !

Regards,

Chris
XTRAIL - PERSON GETS COMPLETELY UNDER CAR - CCTV SCREENSHOT - 20130118022808.jpg
XTRAIL - PERSON GETS COMPLETELY UNDER CAR - CCTV SCREENSHOT - 20130118022821.jpg
XTRAIL - PERSON GETS COMPLETELY UNDER CAR - CCTV SCREENSHOT - 20130118022832.jpg

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts